My second smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi David and Roger,

thank you! for all the ideas/tips and encouragement.

I'm still building the brake.

There is good news and bad news,
the clamp for the brake will be the (J Section) (is what I call it), it's like a (T Section) with one extra foot, or a (I Section) with one less foot, the (J Section) will let us go past 90°, maybe 100° - 125° some were,  So the clamp is good.

Now for the problem/bad news
the two Channels are not flat, the two faces when face to face (or at 180°) has a 7mm gap in the middle / center.

I could not solve this with a cold
cheers.gif
 and before you ask!, I did!, I tried more than one, I got up to 5 cold ones and no solution.

ideas / tips ?

Lee
well since the
cheers.gif
didn't work. i'm thinking 7mm =0.27559" i'd give it a try. i think it will be ok. you might cut a small shim out of wood and fill the gap. i may affect the bend a little. but it's a smoker. not a watch.

happy smoken.

david

Now for the problem/bad news
the two Channels are not flat, the two faces when face to face (or at 180°) has a 7mm gap in the middle / center.

I could not solve this with a cold
cheers.gif
 and before you ask!, I did!, I tried more than one, I got up to 5 cold ones and no solution.

ideas / tips ?

Lee
OK here is an idea.  Make a truss.  In the center of the bow on the convex side, weld a block.  Also weld two angle iron tabs on each end that have a hole in the part that is sticking up.

Now get some threaded rod and feed it through each hole in the tabs and over the top of the block.  When you tighten the nuts, observe a straight edge and keep tightening until it is straight.

As an alternative you can buy turnbuckles and accomplish the same thing.

You can also use a small bottle jack in the middle and rig chain to each end.  This is a little tricky as you need to over bend a bit to allow for spring back, so if you try this way be sure to have a way to measure how much you are bending.

Also when you do this be sure to work safe and have every thing secure.  If something slips or brakes, the sudden release of energy can really do some damage.

Last edited:
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky