My first batch. Issues...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
Report from my first attempt at Sausage Making...

First, I'm using Collagen Casings. After filling, I wanted to twist into links every 10" or so. I know to alternate direct of twist every link, but was frustrated that the links would untwist almost immediately after I released.

Thinking I was not twisted enough I increased the number of twists from three, to five. With expected results. (they blew out).

Next I assumed I had overfilled. So with the blow outs, I filled the next links with less tension. Improvement, but still unraveled about a third of the time.

Experimentation showed that when twisting just one, and setting down on counter, it would untwist, even without further handling.

Possible contributing factor: I made an error when mixing and forgot to add the 10% water the recipe called for. Could the blend be too stiff? ...or will this merely result in a dry sausage? Smoking tomorrow, so wish me luck.

Note: Next time I will set out all ingredients ahead of time. Hopefully seeing the cup of water sitting there still full will be a reminder.

Suggestions?

X2 on not tying the casing itself, if i make fresh i just pinch them at the proper lenght and cut them with shears. If i doing cured and smoked, tie them with butchers twine.

I rarely use collagen for cured sausage for this exact reason, can't tie them. Natural casing for that application

My opinion
Corey

When I make Hot dogs with Cellulose casings they will come untwisted, but I just retwist them and after they have been in the fridge overnight before smoking when I retwist them they stay in place. Dont think it was related to the meat being too stiff. Tying is a great option, but I never thought of that.

These are cellulose , but same idea .
1686835764459.png

Just got into collegen myself and would not recommend them for first foray. LOVE the stripable skinless like chopsaw chopsaw above. That's would I would suggest to a noob. VERY forgiving. Heads up, sausage plumps up nice and tight once cooked so don't go nuts stuffing (I did not know this). There is definitely a learning curve. First few times will make you want to give up, DON'T. Just keep at it, it's gets easier. I made loose sausage for years before ever stuffing. Really cool way to crank out stuff fast and work on flavor profile. EVERYTHING I stuff has been already previously tested. Not wasting time and casings on questionable stuff.

20221115_071923_resized_1.jpg

DailyLunatic DailyLunatic I had the same experience using collagen casings when first starting out. I made the switch to natural casings and had great results. Still was a learning curve to minimize blow-outs. Found a pic of my first time using hog casings.

P.S. - if you look at the bottom left side of the brat container, you will see a patched blow-out.
natural casings.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw and 02ebz06
Just got into collegen myself and would not recommend them for first foray. LOVE the stripable skinless like chopsaw chopsaw above. That's would I would suggest to a noob. VERY forgiving. Heads up, sausage plumps up nice and tight once cooked so don't go nuts stuffing (I did not know this). There is definitely a learning curve. First few times will make you want to give up, DON'T. Just keep at it, it's gets easier. I made loose sausage for years before ever stuffing. Really cool way to crank out stuff fast and work on flavor profile. EVERYTHING I stuff has been already previously tested. Not wasting time and casings on questionable stuff.

View attachment 667986
I've been trying to find these local to my country. Can't find them. Will any plastic, or cellulose, casing work? ...or is there something special about these other than the ripcord?

Ordered the twine, should be here in a few days.

-sterling

Reactions: zwiller
As long as the casings are smoke permeable (if you intend to smoke), they should work, I would think.

As long as the casings are smoke permeable (if you intend to smoke), they should work, I would think.

Assuming the goal is skinless, how do you remove without the tear strip.

Do they tear off easily or do you carefully cut lengthwise with a knife? I worry about possibly scoring them in the process.

-sterling

I've been trying to find these local to my country. Can't find them. Will any plastic, or cellulose, casing work? ...or is there something special about these other than the ripcord?

Ordered the twine, should be here in a few days.

-sterling
I would say any would work but as DougE DougE points out, some smoke permeable some not. They all have they're place once you get familiar with them. Funny you say ripcord as I thought the same but the stripe is nothing but a marking to remind you they're not edible. To get them out, you just snip at the end of one and push them out. Easy peasy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky