Stick a Fork In Me...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...I'm DONE...hooked that is...😄 Today I stuffed my 1st ever sausage and I'm hooked!! While the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired, I'm pleased with the outcome. I will continue to work on the appearance, but behold...
20240122_151936[1].jpg

Only 2 blowouts. These are some casings my meat market manager friend sells in his store. Not sure what size they are, it wasn't on the package, but they are natural hog casings by Oversea Casing. Salt packed and I've had them soaking for a couple of weeks, changing the water at least every other day. To this greenhorn, they were aggravating to get on the tube, but I managed.

Now for the sausage. In SC, fresh onion sausage is everywhere and made by many different people. Rhoten's Country Store in Lexington is considered by many as the birthplace of our style onion sausage.
I searched on here for something similar, but only found Cajun green onion sausage, ours is made with yellow onions or sweet onions. So off to the interweb where I found THIS recipe. I had all the ingredients except the NFDM, hence the questions earlier, so this was it. Took out 2 1000g packs of ground pork to semi-thaw, gathered all the ingredients, and put it all together. Did a fry test before stuffing and I was satisfied with the flavor. Only the one pic of the stuffed sausage, sorry, I was just excited to see it all coming together and trying to get this all done.

Here's the recipe for those who don't like to click links...

Ingredients​

Metric – US Customary
  • 500 g lean pork
  • 400 g pork belly
  • 100 g pork back fat
  • 16 g kosher salt
  • 3 g black pepper
  • 1 g red pepper flakes optional
  • 2 g minced garlic
  • 5 g sugar
  • 10 g dried onion flakes
  • 100 g sauteed onions
  • 100 g caramelized onions
  • 100 g ice cold water
  • 30 g nonfat dried milk high heat
  • 29-32mm hog casings
I doubled this recipe. Thanks to all you enablers who have helped me and answered my questions. To those of you still on the fence, if I can do this, anyone can.

One more question, how do you guys get those nice, even links of fresh sausage?

Congrats on a very nice outcome for your first try at it.
If you find out how to make the even links, let me know, I can't. Haha

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks good to me Charles . Nice job bud .
how do you guys get those nice, even links of fresh sausage?
Comes with practice . Here's how I do it most times .
I leave some casing on the open end . Then I go through the length and just get an idea of where I want to twist , by pinching the spot . No twist .
20190927_091823.jpg
I work the sausage towards the open end as I go along .
When you twist , Do every other one , and spin the same direction .
So twist 1 , 3 , 5 , that automatically makes 2 and 4 , and so on .
It gets easier as you do more .
Soak those casings per Joe's method .
20190927_091827.jpg
20190927_092210.jpg

Congrats on a very nice outcome for your first try at it.
If you find out how to make the even links, let me know, I can't. Haha
I use a large sheet pan to catch the stuffed links. I have small nick marks on one long side of the sheet pan every 6". I just squeeze the casing much link chop did above, on the nick marks, then twist....

That's awesome! Took me a bit to finally make the jump too. So very glad that turned out for you!!

That looks real good Charles. Congratulations on getting your feet wet. It’s a fantastic rabbit hole to go through. As far as even links it’s just having a work top with some sort of measure on it. I like to link in 2’s mostly because it kills 2 birds with one stone and they won’t unravel. Just a simple measuring stick or marks along a mat will get you linking like a pro. Nice work Sir.

Bookmarked! Nice job sir! Ill take two with mustard and kraut please!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky