My curing chamber started cooking cold smoked deer sausage now what

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deer_ed

Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
I have inkbird controller for temperature and hooked to a proofing burner outside as temperature is always below 55. I come home the other night and high alarm is going off and chamber is at temp of around 150. I immediately unplugged it and temp outside was about 20 so they cooled down quickly. Is sausage ruined. They had been drying about 2 weeks already. Used Bactoferm T-SPX and cure #2. The recipe has almost 8 teaspoons of cure to 25 lbs sausage any opinions or ideas? Did I kill good bacteria?

Yes, you likely killed the bacteria....depending on how long the temp. stayed above about 131*F.

Your sausages have likely been pasteurized. Still edible, but I'd suggest nixing further drying and freeze the smoked deer sausages for future use. Time to regroup and start over with a new batch after first figuring out to mitigate this from happening again.

Yes, you likely killed the bacteria....depending on how long the temp. stayed above about 131*F.

Your sausages have likely been pasteurized. Still edible, but I'd suggest nixing further drying and freeze the smoked deer sausages for future use. Time to regroup and start over with a new batch after first figuring out to mitigate this from happening again.
Do I need to further cook the sausage maybe and make sure it hits 155 internal temp?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky