What to do when your GFCI fails while cooking a Coulotte w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Had the pellet proper going. Went out to put the Coulotte on and the smoker is off and the GFCI is tripped. Reset it and off we went.

Put the Coulotte on and waited. 2 minutes in and GFCI trips again. Unplugged the smoker and just left a usb security camera on and it popped again.

Remembering I saw a post recently about someone.runnong a pellet pooper off a power tool batter and ac adaptor I thought hey I have one of those power banks.

Got it out and hooked it up. With the ignitor on it was drawing 350watts. Once it shut off it was running at 19watta. When the auger kicked.in it went to 55 watts.

The battery said it would run the smoker for over 16hrs.

Here it is at the end.
Screenshot_20231130_195342_Gallery.jpg

If you have ever thought about one they are well worth it. Ha e used thru several power failures.

Amazon has this one for $100 off

There are smaller.ones as well.

Here's the coulotte

Screenshot_20231130_195357_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_195413_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for watching.

BTW I will be replacing the outlet. Looking at a wifi GFCI

Nice save…..the green mountain grills are actually 12v with a converter for the house plug….you can run them right off a car batter…. I’ve run my little one that way a number of times!

That picanah looks tasty…we have one in the freezer for holidays!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Had the pellet proper going. Went out to put the Coulotte on and the smoker is off and the GFCI is tripped. Reset it and off we went.

Put the Coulotte on and waited. 2 minutes in and GFCI trips again. Unplugged the smoker and just left a usb security camera on and it popped again.

Remembering I saw a post recently about someone.runnong a pellet pooper off a power tool batter and ac adaptor I thought hey I have one of those power banks.

Got it out and hooked it up. With the ignitor on it was drawing 350watts. Once it shut off it was running at 19watta. When the auger kicked.in it went to 55 watts.

The battery said it would run the smoker for over 16hrs.

Here it is at the end.
View attachment 682257

If you have ever thought about one they are well worth it. Ha e used thru several power failures.

Amazon has this one for $100 off

There are smaller.ones as well.

Here's the coulotte

View attachment 682258View attachment 682259

Thanks for watching.
WOW, that meat looks frick'in amazing!!!

At my last house, I had a GFI plug on the back patio, and my Camp Chef tripped it constantly. For a while I ran a heavy duty power cord into the garage, but got tired of tripping over it and finally replaced the GFI plug with a standard outlet, and never looked back. Unless there is a swimming pool or hot tub near the outlet, personally, I'd trash it I hate the damn things.
Then again, I'm a retired Plumber/ Steam Fitter not an electrician. LOL!!!

Reactions: DonP and hoity toit
BTW I will be replacing the outlet. Looking at a wifi GFCI
Make sure it's not another receptacle in the circuit causing the issue . Could be something in the kitchen , bathroom , or the garage .
Not all of them have a reset , but they are in the circuit , and cause another location to trip .
I had that happen with the one in my kitchen was causing the patio to trip when I used it .

Make sure it's not another receptacle in the circuit causing the issue . Could be something in the kitchen , bathroom , or the garage .
Not all of them have a reset , but they are in the circuit , and cause another location to trip .
I had that happen with the one in my kitchen was causing the patio to trip when I used it .
My brother had that same thing. Guest bathroom causing the patio outlet to trip.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice save and an even nicer cooks Brian

Point for sure
Chris

At my last house, I had a GFI plug on the back patio, and my Camp Chef tripped it constantly. For a while I ran a heavy duty power cord into the garage, but got tired of tripping over it and finally replaced the GFI plug with a standard outlet, and never looked back. Unless there is a swimming pool or hot tub near the outlet, personally, I'd trash it I hate the damn things.

This circuit has the laundry room light and range hood on it. Nothing else on it. Seems to be a heat issue so when it's warm, it trips at 300watt load.

All.of the outlets in the house are the cheapest the builder could get I'm sure.

Last edited:

Im retired electrician and i did the same thing....to hell w the gfci

Looks awesome. I had a GFCI on my patio that kept tripping when I fired up my pellet pooper. Everyone said replace the fire rod in my RecTeq. I replaced the GFCI with a regular outlet and I was back in action. I was raised back in the day when we weren't told we needed GFCI's, and we also took turns on who got to pour lighter fluid on a bed of charcoal while Dad threw a match on that sucker.

Reactions: bmudd14474
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky