My 1st brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmcarriere

Original poster
Oct 11, 2023
Minnesota
Hello everyone,

I have been looking through the threads but could not find anything specific to my question. This weekend I will be smoking my forst brisket on my offset. We are eating on sunday around 3 pm. I was going to cook Saturday and when it was finished let it rest then vacuum seal it and put it in my Sous vide for a heated rest since my oven does not get low enough.

My questions are how long can you do a heated rest for and at what temp should I hold it?

Not sure about sous vide but I just remove the butcher wrapped brisket, over wrap with a couple layers of foil and back in the smoker at 170. I did one this past weekend that sat for 5 hrs, came out amazing. I have heard of 12 plus hr holds at 170 also. I use the smoker because I can monitor the temp from my phone, but I've used the oven also. Imo the hold temp doesn't have to be exact ive had my oven sit at 180ish or higher by accident and it still comes out good

My 2 cents
Corey

I've held mine in a cooler wrapped in foil and then wrapped in towels. 6 hours later its still steaming hot and well above 150 degrees.

Jim

Reactions: 02ebz06
Hello everyone,

I have been looking through the threads but could not find anything specific to my question. This weekend I will be smoking my forst brisket on my offset. We are eating on sunday around 3 pm. I was going to cook Saturday and when it was finished let it rest then vacuum seal it and put it in my Sous vide for a heated rest since my oven does not get low enough.

My questions are how long can you do a heated rest for and at what temp should I hold it?
Most big BBQ joints smoke tomorrow’s meat today then hold in heat cabinets at 150*F until lunch the next day and supper too. So as long as you hold it (SV) from 140-150*F you can hold close to 20 hours, but I wouldn’t hold over the 150*F. And be sure to double seal the bag, you don’t want any SV water to get in there. Good luck.

Reactions: mike243
Most big BBQ joints smoke tomorrow’s meat today then hold in heat cabinets at 150*F until lunch the next day and supper too. So as long as you hold it (SV) from 140-150*F you can hold close to 20 hours, but I wouldn’t hold over the 150*F. And be sure to double seal the bag, you don’t want any SV water to get in there. Good luck.
Do you have any other suggestions am I going to ruin a long cook by holding it sous vide

Do you have any other suggestions am I going to ruin a long cook by holding it sous vide
Heat is heat and SV is very stable. I use the SV but don’t vacuum seal just do the zip bag with the water submerge method to get the air out and into the bath with zip seal above the water.

I think the standard temp is 140 safe holding temp, much over 150 and you will still be cooking imo

Reactions: culpepersmoke
$50 at Walmart and you can buy a tabletop Turkey roaster that will hold 140f forever. You can put your wrapped brisket in there, have a beer, watch the football game, sleep it off, and wake up to a brisket that is still at the right (and safe) temp

$50 at Walmart and you can buy a tabletop Turkey roaster that will hold 140f forever. You can put your wrapped brisket in there, have a beer, watch the football game, sleep it off, and wake up to a brisket that is still at the right (and safe) temp
What size turkey roaster would one need

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky