Mustard crusted leg of lamb, smoked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I am trying to get my mind wrapped.around new years. We typically will have a roasted mustard crusted bone in leg of lamb. Except this year, I have a smoker. Not much experience, but that is coming.

The question is, can I just take the oven recipe, marinade and all, and just smoke it instead, since I use temperature to decide when it's done?

The recipe calls for the leg to be basted every hour,, can I skip that step and use a slightly thicker marinade in the start?

Will too thick of a mustard marinade inhibit the smoke penetration?

Will too thick of a mustard marinade inhibit the smoke penetration?
I think it might... Can you change the marinade to an oil base with garlic, rosemary and salt and such? I could see the mustard crust getting a funky look going on and inhibit smoke penetration... Hopefully others with chime in. All the lamb I have done is like I described above. Done it smoked and grilled. Kinda like this idea.

It should work just fine in the smoker unless the marinade or basting liquid has a high sugar content. People use a mustard slather on brisket and butts, and that does not seem to interfere with smoke flavor. I barbecue injected lamb legs and spray them with a beer, apple cider, apple juice mixture and they come out fine.
ieZh7.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw
It should work just fine in the smoker unless the marinade or basting liquid has a high sugar content. People use a mustard slather on brisket and butts, and that does not seem to interfere with smoke flavor. I barbecue injected lamb legs and spray them with a beer, apple cider, apple juice mixture and they come out fine.
View attachment 519545
I just looked at your recipes page and saw the Lamb shoulder so I will do something on that order. Thanks for your guide.

I just looked at your recipes page and saw the Lamb shoulder so I will do something on that order. Thanks for your guide.
Woah, I forgot all about that RECIPE, I posted that one 15 years ago and it's a solid recipe and technique. This method was very popular on two of the ceramic grill forums back in the day. The anchovies add umami, kind of a background savory flavor. Anchovies are in Worcestershire sauce for that same savoriness.

Woah, I forgot all about that RECIPE, I posted that one 15 years ago and it's a solid recipe and technique. This method was very popular on two of the ceramic grill forums back in the day. The anchovies add umami, kind of a background savory flavor. Anchovies are in Worcestershire sauce for that same savoriness.
Anchovy is a darn good secret in many things! Add in some capers snd I’m all in! Nice recipe, I’ll have to give it a go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky