Lamb leg and hindshank smoking tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cefalk

Original poster
Aug 12, 2023
Hi.

I have a leg/hindshank of lamb around 2kg (4.4lbs) that im thinking of putting on my offset smoker.
What temperatur should i aim for on the smoker and is apple a good wood to use?
Never smoked lamb before so any tips would be great!

Thx Best regards
// Cefalk

Apple is a fantastic wood for lamb. I’d run a 250-ish pit temp and don’t let the IT of the lamb get over 140F unless you want pulled lamb then shoot for about 205F IT but nothing in between.

don’t let the IT of the lamb get over 140F unless you want pulled lamb then shoot for about 205F IT but nothing in between.
Why? I find lamb best done when it's about 170, but to each their own! You're right though that the more it's done the more it falls apart, but is that really a bad thing?

Why? I find lamb best done when it's about 170, but to each their own! You're right though that the more it's done the more it falls apart, but is that really a bad thing?
Like you said, to each their own. Lamb is always traditionally served med rare for most people. We used to roast them in a ground pit and always took them to pull temp. Personally I don’t like well done lamb (170) nor do anyone I know but doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing for you. If your happy I’m tickled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky