Mods perhaps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tj3775

Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I have an OLD (10 yrs or so) offset firebox smoker. I think it came from Wal Mart (couple of hundred bucks I think), old Brinkman smoker. I can take pictures but I'd guess you guys have seen hundreds of them.

But my problem is this. If you want to use to to smoke food, it uses a LOT of lump charcoal and its pretty hard to maintain a even temperature. Am I doing something wrong here. I think the last time I smoked anything in it, it used a bag of lump and a bag of wood (7-10 lbs apiece) and I ran out about 16 hrs into it. Seems to me that there is a waste of space under the grates. Do you recommend any sort of firebrick or something to 'contain' the heat? I'd hate to run out and buy a new smoker if I can make this one work like it should. I did find a new Bubba Keg for $400 but why spend the money if I can make this one functional? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky