MES40 2.5 loss of temperature control - any idea what the problem is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I called Masterbuilt up because the part was supposed to be shipped a week ago last Monday...had not arrived yet. TODAY they said the part would not be available until June...not June 1...just June.

Masterbuilt gets a demerit today. This is the first time customer service has let me down.

As least I still have 2 temps on my MES 40 - 235F +/- and 310F +/-...it is still usable.
I ditched the factory controller and just went with an Auber PID. Works amazingly well.

First, Mosparky has the limit switch covered exactly. It has nothing to do with actual temperature control. It is there to prevent the smoker from running into over temperature, which could cause a fire.
An automatic over-temperature shut down.
Your lack of temperature control has to do with
A. The temperature controller on top.
B. The actual control board with the relay that turns the element on, or off.
Specifically, the relay may be failing in the closed position, allowing irratic temperatures, and also bumping it against the High Limit switch which shuts it off.
But the high limit switch is not a precision device. It is an approximate temperature limiting switch.
It's a pity you have not spoken to someone more knowledgeable at Masterbuilt, and makes me wonder about their service in general. After all, there is not that much that can go wrong with their smokers.
But whoever it is feeding you information should not be. In mine, the limit switch is screw mounted. So it could be removed.
One bad sign is anytime they have to put you on hold, they don't have the answer and are asking someone else, thumbing through a manual, or coming up with something to get you to go away. You may have been talking to a janitor who happened to be close to the phone.

You can get it fixed, and I would not throw it away. I would get an external (Auber) control, bypass the Chinese electronics, and let the goodness be delivered. But that's just me.

Or, you could throw it my way. And I'll fix it.... :confused::p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here is a post I put together for an MES Rewire to be used with a PID Controller like the Auber Plug and Play PID.
If Masterbuilt fails to come through for you then you have this rewire and PID Controller option that will make your MES easy to work on and keep running for many years unless it get's into a car wreck :)

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/
This is a fantastic write up. I completed mine start to finish in 30 minutes (2 beers)!!!

The part came today so Masterbuilt Customer Service came through again...although I would have appreciated knowing a date other than it will be here in "June"

The part they sent is a High Temperature Limiter. It is raining or I would try to put it in tonight...looks like a Saturday project now and looks to be fairly straight-forward

Dang...they just barely made it in June. I was beginning to think you forgot about this thread. I really want to see if this fixes things.

The part came today so Masterbuilt Customer Service came through again...although I would have appreciated knowing a date other than it will be here in "June"

The part they sent is a High Temperature Limiter. It is raining or I would try to put it in tonight...looks like a Saturday project now and looks to be fairly straight-forward

Do you have a picture of this thing? I wonder if they just sent you a new safety rollout limit switch. If that is the case then I think they never really addressed the problem and now your smoker is going to cut out for a period of time when it over heats rather than "control" the temp.

I hope this is not the case.

Here is the part they sent to me...

IMG_3276.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_32 76.jpg
    IMG_32 76.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 11
Here is the part they sent to me...

View attachment 368830

Well Eddie I think I have some unfortunate news for you.
What they gave you doesn't fix the problem, it would only cut off power to your smoker when it reaches too high of a temp.

I would imagine that your existing one is still working as well so this would not fix your problem.
They should have either sent a new controller (top plastic piece with buttons) or a new circuit board (goes in a panel and compartment in the bottom of the smoker).

Masterbuilt needs to send you the right parts. If you want to do the simple rewire and go the PID controller route your problems would be solved. I wish I had better news for you. Let us know what you would like to do going forward and either way I'm sure the community can help you out :)

^^What Tall said.^^

I would try to get them to send you a new controller first.

If they won't then I would let Tallbm help you with the PID gizmo.
He has a good track-record on fixing guys up with that conversion.

Bear

They told me they wanted to try this first...then see what happens. I agree that I thought the temperature woes were a controller issue. But during my calls (2 of them), they put me on hold for a LONG time to consult and this is the way they wanted to go first...and since it was free, I went with the flow.

They told me they wanted to try this first...then see what happens. I agree that I thought the temperature woes were a controller issue. But during my calls (2 of them), they put me on hold for a LONG time to consult and this is the way they wanted to go first...and since it was free, I went with the flow.

Well if are going to replace the safety rollout limit switch with the one they sent you then be sure to use some Hi Temp spade connectors. The connectors they use are trash and are like the 2nd major failure point of an MES lol.
These would do the job and are an exact fit for the MES:

While your at it you may as well use these hi temp ones and switch out the crappy connectors used at the heating element as well :)

Hahhaa you are like halfway through a rewire :D

Well if are going to replace the safety rollout limit switch with the one they sent you then be sure to use some Hi Temp spade connectors. The connectors they use are trash and are like the 2nd major failure point of an MES lol.

While your at it you may as well use these hi temp ones and switch out the crappy connectors used at the heating element as well :)

tallbm, for some reason your picture links dont show up on my Firefox browser.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky