Mes30 and cold smoker mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Malcolm sands

Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
When using the cold smoker attachment for a hot smoke. I have the dryer vent running into mes using a joint as shown. When I do this I can’t get the smoker up to 275. Heat loss. Where am I going wrong here? Anything to help is appreciated.

Attachments

• C0BC9645-EE38-4E7B-9BCB-57A4C98AADC6.png
    C0BC9645-EE38-4E7B-9BCB-57A4C98AADC6.png
    832.7 KB · Views: 62
Looks like there is a lot of moisture coming out of the MES. Are you soaking the chips or using water in the pan? High moisture can stop the temp from reaching the upper limit of 275°F...JJ

1. There is water in the pan. Is sand better? I’ve heard that as well. This was just a test smoke. The drips on the window are more stained in. I had it running fine with plenty of Thin smoke. Just temps maxed out at 250-260. I’m sure it’s the joint going into the chip tray. Heat is pouring out of smoker.

When using the cold smoker attachment for a hot smoke. I have the dryer vent running into mes using a joint as shown. When I do this I can’t get the smoker up to 275. Heat loss. Where am I going wrong here? Anything to help is appreciated.

Hi there and welcome!

I think u are simply hitting some standard/common behavior with the MES. I couldn't get mine to 275F no matter what I did. Also the temp readings you get from the MES are usually wrong as the smoker and meat probes are NOTORIOUSLY off with every unit. That is why basically every MES user relies in a 3rd party wireless dual probe (or more probes) thermometer to get the real temp readings.

All I can say is best of luck with it and understand that this may be just what it does and unless you want to make some controller changes that is the best behavior you can expect. Wish I had better news for ya :)

Hi there and welcome!

I think u are simply hitting some standard/common behavior with the MES. I couldn't get mine to 275F no matter what I did. Also the temp readings you get from the MES are usually wrong as the smoker and meat probes are NOTORIOUSLY off with every unit. That is why basically every MES user relies in a 3rd party wireless dual probe (or more probes) thermometer to get the real temp readings.

All I can say is best of luck with it and understand that this may be just what it does and unless you want to make some controller changes that is the
Hi there and welcome!

All I can say is best of luck with it and understand that this may be just what it does and unless you want to make some controller changes that is the best behavior you can expect. Wish I had better news for ya :)

Thanks! I’ve got my own probe for temps.

Would you suggest to ever use the cold smoker attachment without the dryer vent. Hot smoking, Just hooked up per the manual.

I try not to ever load the feeder too much to cause a choked fire. I don’t mind having to tend the fire.

If I could completely remove dryer vent my smoker I would run fine. But would I want to eat the results.

Thanks for the advice.

Most of us run our MES with an empty pan, covered in foil...JJ

I only use the dryer extension for cold smoking. The times I used the attachment for hot smoke I had it feed directly into the MES without the extension. Since I starting to use the Amazen pellet tray my cold smoker attachment has seen very little use.

Thanks! I’ve got my own probe for temps.

Would you suggest to ever use the cold smoker attachment without the dryer vent. Hot smoking, Just hooked up per the manual.

I try not to ever load the feeder too much to cause a choked fire. I don’t mind having to tend the fire.

If I could completely remove dryer vent my smoker I would run fine. But would I want to eat the results.

Thanks for the advice.

I can't answer for the cold smoker itself, I use an A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray and a Mailbox Mod for my smoke generation.
I just know that the MES in general can lack the ability to hit top temp as well as have issues with holding temps without wild swings. Some have no issues, some have big issues.

Best advice I can give is to try without the vent and see what you get. I know from personal experience that if you don't have any heat going on in the AMNPS that smoke lingers and becomes stale giving a bad flavor. I created a cold smoking assist device that I put over my MES vent and it sucks air up from the MES causing a draft which will pull the smoke through and keep smoke from being stale and imparting bad flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky