Mes 30 died, need replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried everything in the MES to get the pellets to stay lit and nothing worked. Place on the rack to the left if the heating element with the chip tray pulled out an inch to leaving it out completely. Still nothing worked. If I cold smoked bacon and left the door lightly latched it worked beautifully. Just not enough air. I thought about the mailbox mod and ended up just deciding to get masterbuilt attachment for chips. Is the 230g a 2.5 gen?
Your pellets could be part of the issue. I can’t burn cherry pellets alone in my 6” tube, just won’t burn. If I mix (50/50) with hickory or pecan then they will burn.

Your pellets could be part of the issue. I can’t burn cherry pellets alone in my 6” tube, just won’t burn. If I mix (50/50) with hickory or pecan then they will burn.

Yup—-Cherry are the only Pellets I can’t burn in my AMNPS.(Tray)
If I want Cherry Smoke I use Dust.

Bear

How's the 2.5 with chips? I had a ampns for my 30 and never could keep it lit. Ended up buying the mes smoker attachment so I didn't have to add chips every hour
I’ve had the same problem, and I tried again last night adjusting the placement as suggested by another posting. That left me with two of the four racks available for smoking. I was able to smoke 3 8 pound butts. After two hours they went out, I took out the amps and refilled with new pellets. I relit them, opened the vent all the way and pulled the chip loader half way out. The pellets stayed lit for about 6 hours, (until gone). The meat was drier (more crust less real bark) and not as smoky as it has been with the chip loader. The improvement over just using the stock chip hasn’t improved the quality of the product. And isn’t as set it and forget it as I had hoped it would be.

I’ve had the same problem, and I tried again last night adjusting the placement as suggested by another posting. That left me with two of the four racks available for smoking. I was able to smoke 3 8 pound butts. After two hours they went out, I took out the amps and refilled with new pellets. I relit them, opened the vent all the way and pulled the chip loader half way out. The pellets stayed lit for about 6 hours, (until gone). The meat was drier (more crust less real bark) and not as smoky as it has been with the chip loader. The improvement over just using the stock chip hasn’t improved the quality of the product. And isn’t as set it and forget it as I had hoped it would be.

Sometimes it takes a while to get the hang of it.
There are so many variables.
You don’t say where you’re from, in your Profile, so I can’t tell if you have an elevation problem.
Other Tips:
Fill AMNPS to about 1/4” to 3/8” from top of walls.
Be sure Pellets are dry.
Put AMNPS in proper place—-That place depends on which Generation your MES is.
Light one end on AMNPS. Let the flame burn out on it’s own. Every time the flame goes out in the first 20 minutes or so, relight it. After a few times you should be able to make the flame come back by blowing on the Red Cigar-like cherry in the burning pellets. I keep coming back to mine, doing this until I have a good thick Cherry in the bottom of the pellets. This takes anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes. Then I blow out the flame & put the AMNPS in place.
Keep your top vent open 100%.

When the AMNPS is burning properly, I can see the smoke in the chamber, looking through the window in my door, but the smoke is not so heavy that I can’t see the meat through the smoke. This would be too much smoke If I couldn’t see through it.

Bear

Until you get used to it, just leave the chip loader out altogether and top vent wide open. I fooled around with placement and don't think it matters. I put the tray on bottom shelf right and place foiled drip/water pan above it to protect it from drippings. What matters the most to me is lighting it and process is similar to Bear. I fire up the MES and proceed to load the tray and light. I use MAPP gas and blast it 5s and walk away a few moments to get meat/clean up/etc. I do this 3 times and by the 3rd time the tray has a flame that cannot be put out unless you blow it out. I do that and then load into MES which is up to temps by now. There have been a few times where it putter out but 90% of the time it is set and forget. I think most guys rush lighting it and it doesn't get a proper start.

I place my unlit pellets/tube in the smoker while I’m preheating. Makes a difference for burn rate and ease of lighting, compared to cold smoke.

How's the 2.5 with chips? I had a ampns for my 30 and never could keep it lit. Ended up buying the mes smoker attachment so I didn't have to add chips every hour

I had EXACTLY the same problem. I could not, for the life of me, keep my a-maze-n pellet tray lit in my MES 30. My friend told me to microwave the pellets first, to dry them out; but I don’t own a microwave.

Today, I picked up the cold smoker attachment and could not be happier.

I wish I had purchased it at the same time I bought my smoker.

I place my unlit pellets/tube in the smoker while I’m preheating. Makes a difference for burn rate and ease of lighting, compared to cold smoke.
Sounds like a plan. I’ll give it a try and the idea below with the microwave. Thank you very much.

I had EXACTLY the same problem. I could not, for the life of me, keep my a-maze-n pellet tray lit in my MES 30. My friend told me to microwave the pellets first, to dry them out; but I don’t own a microwave.

I wish I had purchased it at the same time I

I wish I had purchased it at the same time I bought my smoker.

Thanks, great idea.

I see the Grills Grill Silverbac now has a new model with PID. Any owners out there ?
Winter, I have the Silverbac (and absolutely love it) with the regular controller and am not anticipating upgrading but I also just got it at Christmas, so not really a need to replace the controller at this time. That being said, the folks on the facebook fan page that have upgraded to the PID have great things to say - it gives you the option of using PID or non.

Oh. Sorry I bought a gen 2.5 pro series. The newest model I wad going to wait on but decided I couldn't wait was released today I saw its listed for $499 and that's without the broiler. That's sold separately. At $499 im actually not disappointed in my purchase I'd put $500 towards a RecTec before an electric.

Reactions: zwiller
Oh. Sorry I bought a gen 2.5 pro series. The newest model I wad going to wait on but decided I couldn't wait was released today I saw its listed for $499 and that's without the broiler. That's sold separately. At $499 im actually not disappointed in my purchase I'd put $500 towards a RecTec before an electric.

I think, Like Myself, You will be very happy with that Generation #2.5.
Congrats.

Bear

Lumber Jack offers a Fruitwood blend of 80% cherry and 20% apple. Anyone tried these to see if they are a problem burning?

I never have tried any Lumber Jack pellets, but when I really want Cherry Smoke I just use Cherry Dust.
It's only the Straight Cherry Pellets that are the problem.
Todd & I discussed this problem 8 years ago, and I believe it comes from the oils in Cherry Wood.
In cabinetmaking we call the black streaks in Cherry Wood "Pitch Pockets".

Bear

Giving it a first run today and must say I'm not impressed. I haven't hit above 230 with it at at 275 and its been on 3 hrs. As far as I've seen it hasn't cycled on/off either which means itll just burn thru the element like the last one. It is 40 and windy but I've put it in a sheltered location Any ideas? Is it s lemon?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky