Mes 30 died, need replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acd4476

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
My MES 30 finally gave out. Working fine and about 4 hrs in the heating element broke. Not a bad run of 9 years I tossed the meat but now looking for a new smoker. Trying to decide if I want another electric or pellet grill. I thought about a stick burner but to much with with two under 4 @ home. I'd welcome any suggestions thank you!

Reactions: Bearcarver
I'm waiting for good reviews on the newest MES 40 with the Boiling coil on top. Pellet Smokers like the Pit Bosso Copperhead 5 and 7 are getting pretty good reviews and are reasonably priced. I wand a Pellet Grill but all the research I have done says you need to spend $1000-$2000 or plan on having problems...JJ

I'm not sure that's really true chefjimmy. I've had my GMG Davy Crockett for 2 years and have had zero problems. Sits outside all year and has always had pellets in it. Just fired it up last weekend after sitting for 2 months when it seemed we couldn't get above 10*. Uncovered it, turned it on and walked away, came back and it's puffing smoke and getting up to temp. Threw a butt on and ran it for 9 hours at 225* never missed a beat. I also have a Copperhead but haven't done much on it yet. Just Jerky. I only picked it up cause it was 199 bucks and you can't really pass on a deal like that. Plus I did want something bigger for when needed. Wait till next fall or spring and watch Brickseek and maybe you can snatch one for a decent price. Some people only paid 109 dollars for the Copperhead.

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the 2.5. I saw Masterbuilt is going to release a newer smoker/rotisserie and debated waiting for that.
Been considering the 130P (only at Lowe’s) that has the top broiling element. Not sure if it has the ‘Bear mods’ Masterbuilt did incorporate in the Gen 2.5 unit(s)? And any idea how soon they’ll release the new 40 to which you refer?

Skidog, I have no doubt you have had a great experience. The most frequently bashed Pellet Grills are the Traegers. Yet look at any thread, on here or a Pellet Grill forum, and ten guys will say their's is nothing but trouble. Then there is always one or two that praise theirs as being trouble free.
I want a Pellet Grill and have been researching for a couple of years now, mostly 'cause that's all I can do being broke. There are Lemons and Diamonds from every company but statistically there are far fewer complaints about a $1000 Rectec or GMG Jim Bowie than $300-$600 Traeger, Pit Boss or Camp Chef. Compare those $1000 grills to the $2000 MAK 2 Star General or a $5000 Memphis Elite and there are virtually Zero complaint or issues. Granted, there are a hundred Traegers sold for every MAK 2, so you are going to see more Lemon Reviews. But you get what you pay for. I realize, often it is easier to find $500 every year or two then come up with $2000 once and done. As I am getting older and having more health issues, I can no longer Tinker or Repair mechanical stuff that stops working. I have to research, plan, negotiate with my wife then Buy once and Cry once, for the benefit of being trouble free...JJ

Reactions: Hank R
In the interim, open the little panel on the back of your old smoker, verify that yours, like almost everyone else’s with a “bad element” has one of the connectors burned off the end of the wire, replace the connector as appropriate, and enjoy a functional smoker while you look for a new one.

Skidog, I have no doubt you have had a great experience. The most frequently bashed Pellet Grills are the Traegers. Yet look at any thread, on here or a Pellet Grill forum, and ten guys will say their's is nothing but trouble. Then there is always one or two that praise theirs as being trouble free.
I want a Pellet Grill and have been researching for a couple of years now, mostly 'cause that's all I can do being broke. There are Lemons and Diamonds from every company but statistically there are far fewer complaints about a $1000 Rectec or GMG Jim Bowie than $300-$600 Traeger, Pit Boss or Camp Chef. Compare those $1000 grills to the $2000 MAK 2 Star General or a $5000 Memphis Elite and there are virtually Zero complaint or issues. Granted, there are a hundred Traegers sold for every MAK 2, so you are going to see more Lemon Reviews. But you get what you pay for. I realize, often it is easier to find $500 every year or two then come up with $2000 once and done. As I am getting older and having more health issues, I can no longer Tinker or Repair mechanical stuff that stops working. I have to research, plan, negotiate with my wife then Buy once and Cry once, for the benefit of being trouble free...JJ
Yes, can find examples of praise and damnation heaped on every one of them. And no one single design that can do everything equally superlatively relative to other designs.

Just as there is no one perfect boat for all uses, either live with compromises or buy three or four :emoji_wink:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the 2.5. I saw Masterbuilt is going to release a newer smoker/rotisserie and debated waiting for that.

I never held much store in a Rotisserie inside a closed smoker.
The meats in my MES get indirect heat from ALL SIDES at all times.
Rotisseries on an open grill cause Direct heat to hit one side of a Roast, and the rotation causes all of the roast to get that direct heat.
So I see no advantage to a rotisserie in a smoker, other than if any juices inside travel around inside due to the rotation, but I believe that to be very little if any.

Bear

How's the 2.5 with chips? I had a ampns for my 30 and never could keep it lit. Ended up buying the mes smoker attachment so I didn't have to add chips every hour

If anything, the loader on my 40” 2.5 is a little shorter (lower capacity) than on my previous MESs.
My current mod (outlined in another post) seems to work very well though. Put in a few chunks of wood at the beginning of a cook, and it lasts 8-12 hrs.
The temp control on the 2.5 is better than I’ve seen on other iterations.

How's the 2.5 with chips? I had a ampns for my 30 and never could keep it lit. Ended up buying the mes smoker attachment so I didn't have to add chips every hour

I haven’t tried chips or anything in the built in smoke generator of any of my MES 40s in 9 years, since Todd invented the Amazing Smokers.
It’s just not a good idea for the same heating element that heats a smoker to also burn the chips.
It just doesn’t work good, like an amazing smoker.
If you are at a high elevation, you should use the Tube.
If you are not at a high elevation, you should learn where to put the tray in the model MES you have, and learn to light it properly.
And as a last result, you can build a Mailbox Mod for your AMNPS.
It’s so nice to be able to get up to 11 hours of perfect smoke without touching anything.

Bear

I tried everything in the MES to get the pellets to stay lit and nothing worked. Place on the rack to the left if the heating element with the chip tray pulled out an inch to leaving it out completely. Still nothing worked. If I cold smoked bacon and left the door lightly latched it worked beautifully. Just not enough air. I thought about the mailbox mod and ended up just deciding to get masterbuilt attachment for chips. Is the 230g a 2.5 gen?

I tried everything in the MES to get the pellets to stay lit and nothing worked. Place on the rack to the left if the heating element with the chip tray pulled out an inch to leaving it out completely. Still nothing worked. If I cold smoked bacon and left the door lightly latched it worked beautifully. Just not enough air. I thought about the mailbox mod and ended up just deciding to get masterbuilt attachment for chips. Is the 230g a 2.5 gen?

I just looked up a 230G to see what it was (I don’t try to memorize the hundreds of model numbers):
Yes it is the same as a Gen #2.5, so the best place I’ve found for the AMNPS is to put it on the bottom rack, all the way to the right, just above the “Empty” Water Pan.
Then pull the chip dumper out about 3”, and rotate it 180°. This should let plenty of air to flow past the AMNPS. Make sure it isn’t below any dripping meat,without a cover above it.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky