Meat Pizza Crust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Since I am a geek working in a building full of geeks, we are having a Pi Day celebration on March 14th. I have decided to make gluten free pizza pie for the event. I am going to make the crusts from either Italian sausage or smoked pepperoni.

The sausage ones will be easy enough, but I'm not exactly sure about the pepperoni though. I just got some TSM Smoked Pepperoni seasoning. Normally this would be stuffed into casings and smoked to, from what I gather, a slightly dryer/firmer consistency than summer sausage. I am going to smash a certain volume of meat between two pie tins to get an even thickness, between 1/4" & 3/8". Then smoke in the pie tins to maintain shape.

How would you go about checking the temperatures along the way? I fear the meat will be two thin to accurately measure the IT. Being much thinner than a stuffed casing, I know it will cook & dry quite a bit quicker, but I don't know how much quicker.

Any help is appreciated.

Don

Pizza crust from meat? Wouldnt that be just a large burger?

Will il hold together when sliced?

Will you top with more meat, or just cheese/vegs?

A large Italian sausage patty with a boatload of cheese.

They will be cut into fairly small slices, but still may need to be eaten with a knife & fork.

The pie tins are about 1-1/4" thick. I am thinking like Chicago deep dish. Going to fill them up with cheese and some crushed tomatoes on top. I will probably throw some other toppings on as well. One will have anchovies, the best topping ever.

Depends on your budget. You could do a layer of overlapping prosciutto and roll out some Italian sausage as thin as you can get it over that. Or the bacon weave would be good too. I'd think you would want to precook it though- the bacon will want to shrink up a bit (or a lot, with store-bought bacon). Either way it could be tough to eat like pizza- the bacon or prosciutto would want to drag all your toppings off. I'll bet it will be delicious, though!

Also there are plenty of variations of low carb pizza crusts that use no flour of any type. Probably a dozen or more options in the low carb isle of the cookbook. A lot of them are based on a form of caramelized mozzarella for a crispy thin crust that is first baked to form the crust, then toppings are added and rebaked like a pizza.

I would just make a pizza fatty or two. Plenty of options for the in innards, and they reheat well in a microwave.

Chris

I would just make a pizza fatty or two. Plenty of options for the in innards, and they reheat well in a microwave.

Chris

I think Chris has a good idea here. Fatties seem like they would be easier to construct and will taste the same anyway.

Probably would plate better too.

John

kind of takes away from the theme of the day though doesnt it? 3-14/3.14= Pi Day~ Pie Day, isnt the point to makes something in a pie form?

kind of takes away from the theme of the day though doesnt it? 3-14/3.14= Pi Day~ Pie Day, isnt the point to makes something in a pie form?

A slice of the fatty is a circular form. Pi is the circumference of a circle. Anyway just a thought

Chris

Reactions: jimmyinsd
Also there are plenty of variations of low carb pizza crusts that use no flour of any type. Probably a dozen or more options in the low carb isle of the cookbook. A lot of them are based on a form of caramelized mozzarella for a crispy thin crust that is first baked to form the crust, then toppings are added and rebaked like a pizza.
there is a recipe out there for cauliflower crust. research it I have had cauliflower mashed instead of potatoes from a friend that has gone low carb

4 Gluten Free pizza crusts (read: 100% beef peperoni) waiting to go into the smoker.

20180313_192106.jpg

A slice of the finished product.

20180314_085215.jpg

Smoked over hickory.
4 hours at 140° then 2 hours at 167-170°.
When I smoked the meat crusts they shrunk. Not unexpected. But they flattened out quite a bit, turning my deep dish pizza into fancy cheeseburgers.

So, 8" dia. smoked pepperoni crusts, just under half a pound of provolone cheese topped with about a cup of crushed San Marzano tomato sauce.

I would do it again.

Don

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky