Meat cutsl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah Cal, post the chart, you don't have to translate it, it's impressive folks!

I burn lump charcoal in my smoker and not wood, but there are pieces 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm) to 5-6 inches (12-15cm) and the only time my temps rise are when I open my vents, as Dan said he uses large pieces of wood and he can maintain a constant temperature with them.

On you chart you show your vents to be either open or closed, but nothing in between, try starting your fire with the door that the vent is on open and when the fire is burning close it and then try closing the vent 25%, wait a few minutes and see what temp you have, continue this until you have a steady temp from using the vent to regulate the intake air, also when you close all of the doors if they are leaking smoke then use some aluminum foil (papier alu) to seal them, this way all combustion air is entering through the vent.  Once you can maintain a constant temp, preferably around smoking temps, if it is too high that is ok, just close the vent 5-10% and watch the temp lower, do this until your are at 225°-250°, record what the vent position is and then next time you can catch the temp when it is rising, that is, start the fire with the vent door open, the vent set at the correct opening and once the fire is going close the vent door and watch the temp settle in at your smoking temps.

Amusez-vous bien (have fun),

Gene

Reactions: kingkoch42
Cal, Don't worry about your chart, nothing posted to the site. We are glad to have you here and let me tell you you can learn alot here.  As previously mentioned the E-Course is great and will give you some needed information and you can lay it down with a translation dictionary in case you have trouble with any of the terms.  Hot smoking is a bit different from cold smoking but many of the terms are the same so that might help.  The WIKI section at the top of the page has been of great help to me, it will give you a list of the Acronyms, (abbreviations used on this site) which I think you will find helpful. You can find information on the WIKI section at any time about how to do about anything you want to know about Hot Smoking and some about Cold Smoking, you may just need to translate some of it.  Cal, please remember this, the only dumb question that you can ask here....is the one you don't ask! So if you have a question please post it and someone will help you with it.  By the way, did you go to the section entitled "Roll Call" and introduce yourself, tell about where you are from and the type of smoker you are using?  If you did not now would be a good time to do so we may have more than one person who speaks French here and that area let's everyone see who you are and let's them get to know you.  Hope things are good in France, so glad to have you here at SMF!

Your new friend,

Barry
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky