Masterbuilt XL first run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dilligaf850

Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Sault Ste Marie Ontario
I think i posted in the wrong spot earlier so putting it here too...

So last weekend I seasoned the new smoker.

and began the big learning curve.Seasoned two racks of ribs the night before and rapped in plastic. The only bad decision was to use the seasoning i normally use on the BBQ (Montreal steak mixed with Montreal chicken). heated up the smoker and threw them in.

i thought they were thick enough to use the 3-2-1...i smoked for the first 2 hours then took the chip pan out(using bag of store maple chips)

this is before the wrap..wrapped for two then dryed for half then sauce for half

the thinner parts were almost jerky(freakin awesome tasting jerky) and the thicker end were just a hair dry...live and learn but officially hooked!

Hey, nice job on the Q-view and welcome to the SMF.

I have a few questions then maybe I can help you with the dry ribs.
  1. What type of ribs?  If they were babybacks the 3-2-1 method is way too long and will dry out your ribs.
  2. What temp were you running the smoker?  I find if I stay between 225* and 240* and use the 2-1.5-1.5 that my babybacks come out perfect every time.
  3. Did you use the temp gauge on the door or a digital?  I find that the door models are not always accurate so I use a Maverick 732 digital dual probe.
Another suggestion is to search the Recipe section of the forum for some really great rub and sauce recipes.  I haven't found a bad one yet!

Once again,  
Looks-Great.gif

Keep that Q-view coming!

Bill

Thanks

I think one was back and one was side.(they are all ribs to me)

I was using the thermometer on the door for guesstamtion from when i seasoned it and used an oven one inside to see how different they were.

didn't want to open it while smoking to check the inner one. a probe type is soon to follow.

but the temp was around 225.

thanks for the heads up on the recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky