Makin Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well here it is. 25.3lbs. Gonna start trimming it up then mix up my bourbon and brown sugar cure.
GALLERY]

Yes. When I get home I'll send his info and see what he has available. I have several farms I get livestock from so I will send you info. Any time you get to sw Wisconsin let me know. I am in Cassville just north of dubuque
So far all talk no follow up...........Show some pics 

Just a thought here. I started trimming mine before curing and then learned if I waited till afterwards I had all this lovely bacon trim to use in beans etc........ End up with the same product, but one way you get bacon trim.

Just a thought.

Yea. I cure it all, smoke it all then trim. That is a sweet belly.

Just a thought here. I started trimming mine before curing and then learned if I waited till afterwards I had all this lovely bacon trim to use in beans etc........ End up with the same product, but one way you get bacon trim.

Just a thought.
Exactly----Cured & Smoked ends are my favorite!!

Bear

I like to smoke then trim also however I freeze the belly until I'm ready to cure with the skin on. I will usually trim 3/4th fat with skin for crackling. Kids love them. Cure takes a little longer to get thru the fat but I like to have the ends and pieces for cooking too. I will have more pics this weekend to show cure progress along with cure recipe

Holy cow! That's some thick belly! It's going to take a while to cure that.
these generally take 12 to 15 days to make sure there are no soft spots. However the nice thing is you can't over cure bacon. Hams I tend to watch a little closer to avoid getting too salty.

I had a couple questions. I'm trying to smoke bacon for the first time. The pork belly that I bought, seems very thin. Will that thicken as it cures?

Second I had a hard time finding the pink cure salt, and read where the cure out of jerky kits works just fine. Could someone let me know whether that's right or wrong?

Thanks in advance

I had a couple questions. I'm trying to smoke bacon for the first time. The pork belly that I bought, seems very thin. Will that thicken as it cures?

Second I had a hard time finding the pink cure salt, and read where the cure out of jerky kits works just fine. Could someone let me know whether that's right or wrong?

Thanks in advance
In my experience, no it will not thicken or puff up. As far as the curing salt, without knowing exactly what type of curing salt is in the jerky kit it may be hit or miss. Some will come with TQ and others with cure #1. It also matters if you are going to dry or wet cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky