Bacon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
5.38-lb pork belly with 6.09gm of cure #1, 34.55gm of Kosher salt, and 24.4gm of dark brown sugar (per digging dog calculator with tallbm tallbm suggestion of salt adjusted to 1.65%). Cured for 14-days flipped and massaged every day.
IMG_2183.jpg

Removed from fridge, rinsed, dried, set on rack and back in fridge for 2-days.
IMG_2235.JPG

A little pre-smoke taste test. Salt, sugar and cure is perfect - I cannot thank tallbm tallbm enough for the salt advise - dead on perfect!
IMG_2240.jpg

Thin blue hickory smoke

Smoked with hickory and oak to 150-degrees (per that other site). Previously I always smoked to 140-degrees so, we'll see...
IMG_2245.jpg

It is in the fridge chilling and tomorrow AM will be the breakfast test. It smells like heaven in here and if I open the fridge to get something, the smell of the bacon... is the most beautiful thing in the world - it's like... opiate drugs... :emoji_sunglasses:

There is just something about pork fat, cure, and smoke, that is heavenly.

Last edited:
Looking good! I just put my first one ever in the fridge yesterday. Pretty close to the same calculations as yours. Already had some BBB curing since the 9th...

Reactions: Retired Spook
5.38-lb pork belly with 6.09gm of cure #1, 34.55gm of Kosher salt, and 24.4gm of dark brown sugar (per digging dog calculator with tallbm tallbm suggestion of salt adjusted to 1.65%). Cured for 14-days flipped and massaged every day.
View attachment 686029

Removed from fridge, rinsed, dried, set on rack and back in fridge for 2-days.
View attachment 686030

A little pre-smoke taste test. Salt, sugar and cure is perfect - I cannot thank tallbm tallbm enough for the salt advise - dead on perfect!
View attachment 686031

Thin blue hickory smoke

Smoked with hickory and oak to 150-degrees (per that other site). Previously I always smoked to 140-degrees so, we'll see...
View attachment 686032

It is in the fridge chilling and tomorrow AM will be the breakfast test. It smells like heaven in here and if I open the fridge to get something, the smell of the bacon... is the most beautiful thing in the world - it's like... opiate drugs... :emoji_sunglasses:

There is just something about pork fat, cure, and smoke, that is heavenly.

Wow looking great!
At that internal temp you now have bacon and.... bacon cold cuts!!! I swear 95% of my bacon never hits a skillet because I smoke it to fully cooked internal temp like you did. It's soooooo good out of the vac seal pack like that.

Enjoy snacking while you slice it :D

Reactions: Retired Spook
Slices
View attachment 686037

Breakfast
View attachment 686038

Delicious, though I did cook it slightly more than I should have. Nevertheless, some of the thicker portions that did not cook as much, and still retained that hickory smoked fatty deliciousness, were perfect!
Dang! I could do with that plate this morning! And maybe a piece of toast to dip in that egg yolk.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky