Breakfast sausage Another Way.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Made up some breakfast sausage, my Cumberland style. Really wanted to make an all in one heat and serve for on the go. In a casing form my first thought was wrap it in a warm flour tortilla and out the door kinda thing.

I small diced Yukon potatoes and roasted them. I mixed up my Cumberland breakfast sausage. I diced a jalapeño and green onion with some garlic. I scrambled 4 eggs just till done. Everything cool I mixed the sausage first, then added the potatoes and veggies. I added 505 red enchilada sauce for liquid to consistency then stuffed. Plan is to smoke them tomorrow. Then they will be heat and eat, a fast delicious breakfast.

IMG_2068.jpeg

The Cumberland sausage all mixed.

IMG_2067.jpeg

The potatoes and veggies all mixed.

Stuffed and ready for smoke.
IMG_2069.jpeg

linked up.

IMG_2071.jpeg

The fry test was absolutely delicious.
IMG_2070.jpeg

Will smoke these tomorrow.

Made up some breakfast sausage, my Cumberland style. Really wanted to make an all in one heat and serve for on the go. In a casing form my first thought was wrap it in a warm flour tortilla and out the door kinda thing.

I small diced Yukon potatoes and roasted them. I mixed up my Cumberland breakfast sausage. I diced a jalapeño and green onion with some garlic. I scrambled 4 eggs just till done. Everything cool I mixed the sausage first, then added the potatoes and veggies. I added 505 red enchilada sauce for liquid to consistency then stuffed. Plan is to smoke them tomorrow. Then they will be heat and eat, a fast delicious breakfast.

View attachment 697260
The Cumberland sausage all mixed.

View attachment 697261
The potatoes and veggies all mixed.

Stuffed and ready for smoke. View attachment 697262
linked up.

View attachment 697263
The fry test was absolutely delicious.
View attachment 697264
Will smoke these tomorrow.
What a great idea! Looks yummy!

I plan to cook these on the pellet machine but I had two links that were “extra “ so after a nights rest in the fridge I heated a pot of water and poached the two links followed by a sear in the skillet. These were excellent, wrapped it in a tortilla and went about my morning chores. Next time I’m adding roasted green Chile.

Here is the cut shot. Potatoes were not run through the grinder, just small diced and roasted.

IMG_2072.jpeg

Ahhh, I see your thinking cap is on again. 👍

Coincidentally, I've been jotting down some idears for my base recipe for Cumberland sausage, and planned on forming mine in patties and freeze. I do this for a couple of other "farm" sausage blends.

Right now, my base Cumberland sausage is pork butt, dried breadcrumbs (or store bought mixed flavor croutons), salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and icy water.

Options on the table are using 2 or even 3 types of pepper (black, white, red), roasted onion and garlic. However.... my Lukainka (a Basque farm sausage) is pork butt, salt, black-white-red pepper, minced garlic, dried parsley, and icy water. Obviously I don't want to have a crossover in flavors, and want to maintain the signature seasonings in each recipe.

So, I'm liking your idea of roasted potatoes, and adding some sautéed onions might be a good fit to replace the croutons. Maybe even using hash browns or the 1/8" frozen potato cubes. Thoughts??

Ahhh, I see your thinking cap is on again. 👍

Coincidentally, I've been jotting down some idears for my base recipe for Cumberland sausage, and planned on forming mine in patties and freeze. I do this for a couple of other "farm" sausage blends.

Right now, my base Cumberland sausage is pork butt, dried breadcrumbs (or store bought mixed flavor croutons), salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and icy water.

Options on the table are using 2 or even 3 types of pepper (black, white, red), roasted onion and garlic. However.... my Lukainka (a Basque farm sausage) is pork butt, salt, black-white-red pepper, minced garlic, dried parsley, and icy water. Obviously I don't want to have a crossover in flavors, and want to maintain the signature seasonings in each recipe.

So, I'm liking your idea of roasted potatoes, and adding some sautéed onions might be a good fit to replace the croutons. Maybe even using hash browns or the 1/8" frozen potato cubes. Thoughts??
Love the feed back Wayne.
First question, why no sage in your recipe? To me fresh sage minced is what seals the deal in my Cumberland recipe, dried versions of sage are a no go, fresh is way different with almost a citrus hit.

I have made the Cumberland with bread crumbs, really a non starter for me because I don’t like fillers or extenders in sausage generally. I understand it, just don’t care for it. As to potatoes, I think you could use frozen hash browns here no problem or those diced potatoes as well. My idea here was to make a breakfast taco all in a casing, heat and serve in a tortilla. A nice on the go fast breakfast like a breakfast sandwich but in a tortilla, could still just warm the sausage and eat as is as well. This works very well. I had questions about the scrambled eggs but they seem to work well so far. It’s a hit.

One thing I will note on flavor. The potato will lower the seasoning flavor of the sausage as they soak up the flavor and are themselves bland. This is why I roasted them, which brings its own “fried potato” flavor. It’s a welcoming flavor. Also I increased my salt content in the sausage to 2% to accommodate this. Worked well. Keep the feedback coming.

Eric

I like the potatoes not run through the grinder, just gives it a totally different type of sausage I think.

My first one the potatoes were just a little too big, second time around I diced smaller.

I will have to try your way of frying them a little first, as mine went in raw.

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
First question, why no sage in your recipe? To me fresh sage minced is what seals the deal in my Cumberland recipe, dried versions of sage are a no go, fresh is way different with almost a citrus hit.
I guess I’m not as fond about sage as you are. Sage is a dominate flavor in Lincolnshire sausage, and some Cumberland recipes don’t have any at all. I’m shooting more for breakfast and farm varieties that are more universal, whether it’s actually for a morning breakfast, a sausage burger, or breakfast as an evening meal.
My idea here was to make a breakfast taco all in a casing, heat and serve in a tortilla.
We make breakfast burritos, and breakfast casserole (cut into servings) that are frozen. These can have a Mexican flair with pork and chorizo, or traditional ham & cheese, regular sausage, and even bacon bits... along with eggs, onions, jalapenos, bell pepper, potato O'Brien style potatoes, or whatever is on hand.
One thing I will note on flavor. The potato will lower the seasoning flavor of the sausage as they soak up the flavor and are themselves bland
Correct on that. We found out the hard way when making early batches of Irish potato sausage. Adding hash browns was a tip I got online for potato sausage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky