Landjaeger sticks

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by chef willie, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

This is the second 5 pound batch already and it's going fast. My first time using pre-mixed commercial seasonings. GF picked up some Landjaeger stix in Washington and we both loved them but I balk at paying $11.95 a pound so the hunt was on for a clone. Waltons had a seasoning mix for Landjaegers and I picked up some bigger 26 MM collagen casings to mimic the store bought size. I usually add some additional heat but left well enough alone for the test batches. Big hit with everybody so leaving the formula be for now. Ran them overnight in the Smokin' It #3 at 150 degrees with hickory chips, so about 16-18 hours in the smoker. I did add some Cure #1 just to be safe. Highly recommend this mix and love the Waltons casings etc...Willie

c farmer, driedstick, disco and 6 others like this.
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great Willie! Points! I'll be up in PDX this weekend going to try and make into Edelweiss and Otto's if I can find the time. Good stuff!

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Oops forgot!

POINTS!!!!

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

CW, Good looking stix sir !

5. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Really good color on them I remember you did them before.Points

Richie

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great job Willie!

Love the color!

POINTS!

Al

7. tjmitche

tjmitche Smoke Blower

Beautiful Stuff Willie!!  Didn't the Walton's mix already have some Cure #1 in it?

[​IMG]

Tj

8. chef willie

not in the mix.....came in a separate little baggie so I went ahead and used my open jug of it. Nice they gave you the option of using it or not I guess....

9. chef willie

Thanks everybody.....good stuff to make, really great taste

10. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yeppers them look great - Nice job 

A full smoker is a happy smoke - Stay very happy 

DS

11. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good Willie............................  [​IMG]

12. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice there CW.

Making me wanna do some dry cure LJ

13. smokindeer

smokindeer Fire Starter

What meat did you use for these?

They look awesome!

14. wazzuqer

wazzuqer Smoke Blower

Those look great Willie, was wondering if you mixed and stuffed them one day and smoked them the next day? I know there are lots a different methods out there, was curious what you used. I wanna try to make some landjeager, our bowling alley has a vender with them in it but at 6 bucks for 3 pieces it
    gets kinda spendy...

15. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I love lanjaeger, Chef. I have been meaning to try it and just haven't got around to it.

Points for inspiring me to get off my duff.

Disco

16. whistech

whistech Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Chef Willie, the sausage looks great!     I am going to add that to my list to make.

17. zzrguy

zzrguy Smoke Blower

Mmmm mm yummy. So now I'm buying all that stuff from waltonsinc.com the wife will be so happy. We'll atleast I have something to eat on the couch.

18. wazzuqer

wazzuqer Smoke Blower

Finally got around to getting the LJ rolling, 35 lbs worth can't wait, thanks Willie for all the help...

19. chef willie

hey, nice job....you're even squashing them like the originals. I don't check on here every day so IF you post final pics either PM me with the link or answer this as a quote so I get notified. I just received some teriyaki seasoning from Waltons to make some sticks....thought I'd try it out as the GF likes the sweeter teri sticks while I like the hotter end of the spectrum. Willie

20. wazzuqer

wazzuqer Smoke Blower

Humming right along...