Kielbasa start to finish for Chef Jimmy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which cut of meat do you prefer for making sausage

• Boston Butts

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Pork Shoulder

Votes: 100 57.5%
  • Loin Ends

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • Country Ribs

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question ?? Do you put the cure in the water or just mix it with the spices ?

That looked really good ...oh and the water bath ...170 degree's  and leave the heat on ..or 170 turn off heat dump in the sausage ?

Paul,

I usually cure and spice my sausage before it is ground.  My thought is that it is easier to kill bacteria on one large surface than on millions of smaller ones.  In doing so, it does take longer to cure.  Smaller pieces equals a quicker cure.  Either way I always add my liquid, in this case water, but in others wine, beer, whiskey.. just before stuffing.  After adding the liquid you mix until it gets very tacky.  This helps hold the sausage together.  I also think keeps it moister, but have never done any scientific study.

Not sure how I missed this earlier.  Any other questions please feel free to ask.  If I don't know the answer, I will make something up......Wait no.....  Actually there are some wonderful sausage makers here and someone will know the answer.  

Maybe I should start a thread with a poll on whether to cure then grind, or grind then cure.  What are your thoughts?

I have seen both from guys here but it will be interesting to hear who does what and maybe why? There was even different opinions on Grinding and waiting a day after adding the Cure and adding and stuffing right away...JJ

I have a question.

I've all my equipments, meat and spices ready. Well, except for Cure #1. It's supposed to arrive on Monday. 

Can I go ahead and grind the meat and add all the necessary spices, then just add the cure later, as soon as my package arrives? Im planning on doing it tonight ( I'm bored and Hubby went out 
beercheer.gif
 )

It's my first time to make Kielbasa and Im going to use the recipe posted here btw.

You probably could do that.  Just be sure to store it in a tightly sealed container as it will pick up ambient flavors.  Also do not add the water until you are ready to stuff.  I wish you luck, can't wait to see the results. 

Hey Shannon, thanks for the great recipe I did a 5 lb batch early last week and It's excellent....I'll definitely be making it again!

I was pressed for time and would have liked a litlle more smoke on them, but they were excellent just the way the are

Do you warm water up to 165degrees and shut off and put the Kielbasa in or do you keep the water heating while the Kielbasi is cooking it it?

Lots of garlic and marjoram makes Polish Kielbasa rock. Basil is sweet and floral tasting, much like marjoram, so works as an excellent alternative. Worth a try......I need to make me some more.........looks awesome for sure.....
Looks-Great.gif

Do you warm water up to 165degrees and shut off and put the Kielbasa in or do you keep the water heating while the Kielbasi is cooking it it?
I usually heat the water in a roasting pan on top of the stove to 175, then turn down to low.  After you add the sausage it cools a little but then stays right around 170

You do great work Shannon!!!! i've been using ounces over the years but i think i'm going to pick up one of those metric scales. Never to old to learn LOL. I went through the entire thread and am very impressed with your helpfull tips to all who asked questions.  That smoked picnic looks awesome!!. Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky