Keys To Making Great Sausage: Step By Step W/ Lotsa Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry everybody for the slow responses. I do structural engineering inspections for construction projects that we engineer. We have several days of rain coming and everybody was trying to get their inspections done yesterday before the rain hits and I was behind the 8-ball. Just no time to go back and answer the questions here.....but I'll go through them individually today and get caught up. Appreciate your patience.

Robert

I have to add . . . Cold,cold, cold, everything cold that can be chilled.Bowls, trays, mixer implement etc.It really helps/makes life easier.

Good advice for certain. If you have the availability to kee stuff constantly in a cold environment, it's good to do. I'm not able to do that so just put things in the fridge as the meat is chilling in the freezer. Thus far it's worked for me. Thank you for sharing.

Robert

This may be a matter of opinion or personal preference but do you just grind your meat once, and what size plate do you prefer?

For all my mainstream sausages I just grind once through the medium plate. By the time you mix it all up, the meat and fat break to the point is makes for a nice texture. I've found no real need to grind twice. I've made bologna and hot dogs and those I'll grind twice through the small plate. It helps when time comes to emulsify the meat.

Thanks for the kind words Ryan!! Appreciate it
Robert

Well done tx smoker! Nice links!

Thanks so much Keith!! You being one who makes sausage by the ton, I take that as one heck of a compliment. If you ever wanna try my Cajun spice mix for the sausage, just let me know :emoji_wink: I did get your PM, thanks so much for the clarification!! As soon as I read it, I made the appropriate edit.

Robert

What grinder do you have?

It's a Mega Force 3000 series with air induction cooling. Not a real big unit but it packs quite a punch. I've run thousands of pounds of meat through it and never had a problem.

Robert

Well there you have it. The Student has become the Teacher. CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done...JJ

Thanks so much Jimmy but I'd hardly consider myself the teacher. All I've done is take a bunch of info gained from folks like you and compiled it in one place...kinda like making garlic infused olive oil :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Very nice write up and the pictures really help. I never thought of using twine to tie off the ends.

Wish I could find some pork around here. Now I gots me a hankering to make some sausage!!
Great write-up! Very informative! Enjoyed the read!

Thank you guys. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Was a fun post to do getting to share a bunch of info I learned from the good folks here in SMF....and getting to do it entirely versus starting in the middle like I did last time.

Robert

Reactions: JC in GB
tx smoker,
thank you for the tutorial. great insight and information. I like your measuring table

Ah the measuring table. Another instance where necessity is the mother of all invention. It's basic and somewhat rudimentary, especially from a guy that's a master carpenter but it works very well. There are adjustable feet in the bottoms of the legs so I can raise or lower it according to the diameter of my stuffing horn. The ruler secured underneath is invaluable for the way I like to go about stuffing the links.

Robert

Only thing I see missing is a discussion on the fat vs lean meat. You mention their critical importance, but give no further discussion on them :-)

I guess you could say that's a great point on your end and perhaps a good old fashioned brain fart on mine :emoji_laughing: So many details I wanted to hit on I figured I'd miss one or two but didn't think it'd be one that important.

I've seen some folks go as high as 85/15 who prefer their sausages a bit leaner. I've never gone that high on the lean ratio but my understanding is that you need to use some sort of a binder Non Fat Dry Milk (NFDM) or Sodium Tripolyphosphate STPP to retain moisture and texture. At the other end of the spectrum I've seen some folks go 70/30. for my tastes, that's a bit too high on the fatty side. My preference is about 80/20. Truth is that I just use pork shoulders from Costco. If I'm doing a beef based sausage I'll use chuck roast. Sometimes with that I'll add a little bit of beef fat I've saved from trimming a brisket if it's too lean.

Robert

Good advice for certain. If you have the availability to kee stuff constantly in a cold environment, it's good to do. I'm not able to do that so just put things in the fridge as the meat is chilling in the freezer. Thus far it's worked for me. Thank you for sharing.

Robert

Hey Robert,

Here is a thought...
What I do is take my 75qt. super insulated Yeti knock off cooler and clear one shelf off in my deep freezer, pack all that stuff in the ice chest for the duration of my sausage making session so I can use the space in the deep freeze to chill the meat. The items in the cooler never thaw, they stay frozen solid. When I am done making sausage, I repack the stuff back on the shelf in the freezer.
The frozen meats are at about 9*F so it will take a while for the meat to reach thaw temps. while packed tight in the cooler......

Here is a thought...
What I do is take my 75qt. super insulated Yeti knock off cooler and clear one shelf off in my deep freezer, pack all that stuff in the ice chest for the duration of my sausage making session so I can use the space in the deep freeze to chill the meat. The items in the cooler never thaw, they stay frozen solid. When I am done making sausage, I repack the stuff back on the shelf in the freezer.
The frozen meats are at about 9*F so it will take a while for the meat to reach thaw temps. while packed tight in the cooler......

I could see that working great if you need that much space, which obviously you do because of the volume you turn out. Some folks do make that much at one time and this could be hugely beneficial to them, but I believe most folks make much smaller batches. Typically I do 5# batches...just a lot of them :emoji_astonished: I have no problem finding space for 5# of meat. Great info though Keith and thanks for sharing.

Robert

I've been making sausage for awhile now and about the only thing I do different it to mix whatever spices I'm using with whatever liquid is going to be used, might get a little better distribution that way,

This is a good concept and I tried it in the beginning of my sausage making career (cough, choke) but it didn't work for me. I had a bit more water than I needed so was at am impasse. Either I would have too much liquid or not enough spice. I've noticed that there isn't a set amount of liquid needed from batch to batch. I guess the moisture content can vary in the meat. Sometimes I use about 1/4 cup of water in 5# and other times I need over a half cup to get it at the correct consistency. I just started adding the spice as I grind layering it in and add however much liquid is needed as I mix. It's been working for me since messing up that batch in the beginning so I've stuck with it.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
This is a good concept and I tried it in the beginning of my sausage making career (cough, choke) but it didn't work for me. I had a bit more water than I needed so was at am impasse. Either I would have too much liquid or not enough spice. I've noticed that there isn't a set amount of liquid needed from batch to batch. I guess the moisture content can vary in the meat. Sometimes I use about 1/4 cup of water in 5# and other times I need over a half cup to get it at the correct consistency. I just started adding the spice as I grind layering it in and add however much liquid is needed as I mix. It's been working for me since messing up that batch in the beginning so I've stuck with it. Robert

If that's what works for you it's the best way to go Robert! I usually make sausage in 25 pound batches and use a 750ml bottle of Cab or Chardonnay depending on which type of Italian sausage I'm doing, hog or chicken. I've been making both of them the same way I don't ever look at my notes anymore, it's all just dialed in. RAY

I usually make sausage in 25 pound batches and use a 750ml bottle of Cab or Chardonnay

Alright Ray, there's something you need to clarify please. Does the Cab or Chardonnay go into the sausage or into you as you're working?

Important questions here,
Robert

Very informative Thank You. You smoke to an IT of 150-155F, so before consumption you heat 165F?

150 to 152 is usually my target temp for the IT of the sausage. At that point it's safe to eat and doesn't dry out. Not sure exactly what you're asking regarding the 165 though.

Robert

Alright Ray, there's something you need to clarify please. Does the Cab or Chardonnay go into the sausage or into you as you're working?
Important questions here, Robert

Of course it goes into the sausage Robert, when sausage making and smoking I drink beer. Duh! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky