Just startin' out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

country5678

Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
I am just getting started with smoking and am new to SMF.  I haven't even purchased a smoker yet.  Have also considered building my own as we have the room for a rather large one.  We raise grass-fed beef and have access to pastured pork and chicken as well.  Any suggestions re: smokers or words of encouragement are graciously accepted.  Happy Smoking!!! 

country5678

Welcome from SC. It's good to have you here on this great site. There are a lot of really fine folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you need to do is ask and keep reading.

Check with Craig Bell at Bell Fab. He is a great guy to work with and he will build you a one off smoker to your personal specifications and needs. His material is first class, fabrication is quality and his prices are very reasonable.

Contact him at: [email protected]

Good luck and good smoking, Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Thanks Joe Black.... I still don't know how far I want to take this "meat smoking" idea... there isn't a lot of it going on here.  I live in Manitoba Canada.  I've traveled to areas with some of the best bbq in the world... aka. Memphis and Mississippi.   I know what I like and I know what's good...how do I replicate that.   I want some fall off the bone ribs to serve my family, and some world class pulled pork to impress my friends... 
So... having said all that... what I don't know are the ins and outs of rubs... time/temps... and the big S (sauces).   I do have a butt kickin' sauce I use on ribs now... its one of those big, bold, hardy sauces with lots of black strap molasses but I'm open to trying new things.  

Thanks Joe Black.... I still don't know how far I want to take this "meat smoking" idea... there isn't a lot of it going on here.  I live in Manitoba Canada.  I've traveled to areas with some of the best bbq in the world... aka. Memphis and Mississippi.   I know what I like and I know what's good...how do I replicate that.   I want some fall off the bone ribs to serve my family, and some world class pulled pork to impress my friends... 
So... having said all that... what I don't know are the ins and outs of rubs... time/temps... and the big S (sauces).   I do have a butt kickin' sauce I use on ribs now... its one of those big, bold, hardy sauces with lots of black strap molasses but I'm open to trying new things.  
This meat smoking usually takes you once you get into it. Smokers come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. if you want easy you can get an electric smoker or a Weber smokey mountain with a temperature controller and pretty much set and forget. if you like to tend a fire and have the best flavor (IMO) you get a stick burner (offset).  There also propane and ceramic/kamado options but never used either one of those.

To pick out which you would prefer i would first decide on how you want to smoke (set and forget, tend and baby sit, or somewhere in between) and decide on a budget. do you want to be into this hobby a couple hundred or a few thousand? Just starting out i would probably (and did) opt to go cheap. i started with a $39 cheap bullet from Walmart. and i have worked my way up to Black Betty(see below) who set me back a pretty penny or two! A good unit to start with that will cost $200-400 US depending on size is the Weber Smokey Mountain. I have the largest size and it is a wonderful cooker to make ribs and pulled pork. And you can order them from Amazon.

As far as getting good at this hobby two things really help. first is research(such as on this and other websites). and Practice! the more you do something the better off you will be. When you get a few racks of ribs under your belt you feel like you know how to do it. when you get a few hundred racks under your belt you will know exactly how to do it and how to make them how you like.

anyway welcome to SMF! when you get your smoker there is smoking basics e course from the owner of this website and a newsletter. so check those out!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky