Jerky... three flavors!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Well, after seeing Rick's, BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker thread on jerky I thought I should get off my butt and post my last jerky making excursion. First up was some venison jerky using my wife's step mom's recipe. Second was Bearcarver Bearcarver recipe for pork loin jerky. And third was a small batch of Thai jerky that I wanted to try. I followed the recipe that Steve H Steve H posted for it... not sure if he was the original poster or not.

Get the venison thawed and sliced

20230720_203101.jpg

Recipe we use is as follows... it's stated for 1 lb of meat. But that should leave plenty of marinade... we started with 12.3 lbs of meat, and if I remember correctly I made 5 batches of marinade. Typically my wife usually makes the deer jerky and just make more as needed.
4 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt

Dredge each piece in marinade then place in gallon ziplock bag. Leave in fridge overnight, mixing occasionally.

20230720_203431.jpg

We run 2 dehydrators, so if one stops working we can still continue... it's happened.

20230721_150134.jpg

20230721_153112.jpg

We do flip meat and rotate racks. And the best part... finished pics. With the venison we started with 12.3 lbs and ended with 5.02 lbs of jerky.

20230721_193834.jpg

Next up is the pork loin jerky...recipe is courtesy of Bearcarver (RIP)

This is per lb of meat

Tenderquick - 1/2 Tbsp (7 gr)
Brown sugar - 3/4 Tbsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
Onion powder - 1/2 tsp
Ground ginger - 1/2 tsp
Worcestershire sauce 1/2 ounce
White wine - 1/2 ounce
Water - 1 ounce

20230722_020706.jpg

Each piece is also placed in marinade so to get good coverage, then placed in gallon ziplock bag overnight, mixing several times as well.

20230722_020655.jpg

Bagged up and ready for overnight on fridge.

20230722_110446.jpg

Some of the pork loin jerky out of dehydrator, and deer jerky in gallon ziplocks.

20230722_225519.jpg

Started with 4.5 lbs pork loin, ended with 1.65 lbs jerky.
And lastly the Thai jerky. I will say this is the 1st time making this. Kinda thought it was gonna be too spicy for us so only went with a 1 lb batch. Steve's recipe was for a 2 lb batch so I cut it in half, but went with the original recipe. The ingredients...

20230722_131209.jpg

The recipe...

20230723_213842.jpg

Big difference in color from Bear's pork loin jerky to the Thai jerky!

20230723_211251.jpg

Have to say I love the flavor of the Thai jerky! At first the heat was a bit much... but then it really grows on ya. And my wife was a trooper and tried it... took a bite, chewed it twice then spit it out... and headed for the gallon of milk! Have shared with a couple hunting buddies that came out to pick sweet corn... they loved it as well... so will definitely be making more!
Started with 1 lb of pork loin on this and ended with .39 lb of jerky.

And as some people have mentioned, the worst part of making jerky is cleaning the racks. I've found soaking in hot water with dish soap in a big tote does help.

20230723_112508.jpg

So thanks for sticking around and the boss ( 1 of them, says hi!) Kali turned 1 in April... loves going along with me!

20230706_181213.jpg

Ryan

PS... I hit the wrong button and added the enchiladas pic we made earlier this week... just forgot to remove it from the bottom of my thread lol! But dang... they were tasty!

Attachments

• 20230813_200024.jpg
    20230813_200024.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Looks really good Ryan. This is something I have not done yet.

Used to really like jerky. As I got older ( wish I could stop that now ) I kind of got away from the hard dry jerky,
like the stuff with a little softness to it , but that is just me.

But the Thai one sounds really good, and thanks for the recipe.

Don't you just love back seat drivers, I miss my little front seat driver.

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
DAYYYYUM

All the jerky looks AWESOME.

I need to try the recipes.

Nice job as always.....Its good to get off the butt:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Looks great Ryan . Love venison whole muscle jerky .

Smoked 3 lbs. of sticks yesterday . Ground and mixed on Monday . Was great to get something cured and smoked .

Those farm dogs love to ride along .

Man looks great! I really need to make some more of my Asian pork jerky. I just hate cleansing those trays with a passion or I'd make jerky monthly lol.

Looks really good Ryan. This is something I have not done yet.

Used to really like jerky. As I got older ( wish I could stop that now ) I kind of got away from the hard dry jerky,
like the stuff with a little softness to it , but that is just me.

But the Thai one sounds really good, and thanks for the recipe.

Don't you just love back seat drivers, I miss my little front seat driver.

David
Thank you David! Give it a try sometime... you can take them out a bit earlier to be softer... ours is dried to my wife's liking! We almost always have jerky in the freezer... good snack on long drives and great for hours in tractor or combine.
Yes, I love my dogs as well... even if some days I feel like their doorman... outside, inside, and you know!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks really good! I got the recipe from Disco. And tweaked it a touch.
Thanks Steve! Definitely will be making more... the stuff is addictive. I wasn't sure where the original recipe came from... thank you for adding that... give credit where credit is due.

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
DAYYYYUM

All the jerky looks AWESOME.

I need to try the recipes.

Nice job as always.....Its good to get off the butt:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
Thanks Rick! Your thread helped! Sometimes just hate typing up threads.

Ryan

Looks great Ryan . Love venison whole muscle jerky .

Smoked 3 lbs. of sticks yesterday . Ground and mixed on Monday . Was great to get something cured and smoked .

Those farm dogs love to ride along .
Thanks Rich, I appreciate it! I want to get some sticks done as well! That kabonsy you helped me with will be first, that was so good!
Both my girls love going along... but usually just one at a time... they are just like a couple toddlers when together.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Man looks great! I really need to make some more of my Asian pork jerky. I just hate cleansing those trays with a passion or I'd make jerky monthly lol.
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it! Between you and Steve I knew I had to try it. And I hear you about cleaning the trays... worst part of it. I added another pic to how I helped clean them this time... soaked in a tote with dish soap and hot water.

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Dang Ryan! That all looks good! Gonna have to hit Bears step by step and get the recipe for that loin jerky!

Jim
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it! I went and edited my thread and put the recipe in so you and others don't have to search for it.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Ya funny how you inspire us to get off our asses and use our smokers and dehydrators LOL
I have a 4 pound batch curing in the fridge as I type. View attachment 673787
Thank you KB! Funny how a post will bring about more threads on some things. Been a year or maybe more but enchiladas were posted, then about 6 more threads were posted. We had made some too but didn't post mine at the time lol!

Ryan

Wow Ryan, that's a load of jerky and I love the variety. Great post and great detail for others to follow. Now you get to relax and gnaw on a few pieces of it :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky