Jerky thickness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
About to slice some top round and/or eye of round for some jerky. What's the consensus on the best thickness for these roasts? I normally use London Broil and slice it a little more on the thick side but wanting to try something a little different this weekend.

Thanks!

I prefer whole muscle meat jerkey pretty thin as I find it easier on the teeth. So less then 1\4 inch thick.

OK then. I usually do 1/4" on the LB so we'll give it a try on these roasts. I love jerky and lisinopril allows me to keep eating it!

Thanks folks!

Reactions: jcam222
Am I the only one who cuts it thinner? I use my meat slicer and cut about 1/8" think, brine for 2 days and dry for about 4-5 hours. I started by cutting thicker then pounding thinner but found it was an unnecessary step.

Cheers

Am I the only one who cuts it thinner? I use my meat slicer and cut about 1/8" think, brine for 2 days and dry for about 4-5 hours. I started by cutting thicker then pounding thinner but found it was an unnecessary step.

Cheers
Nope your not the only one. I'm with you on this. Find it easier on my teeth.

Reactions: kilohertz
I have used the thin sliced in the past. Works well. It's much better to me smoked vs. dehydrated and marinated with liquid smoke.

I don't know how they do/did it but I at the gunshow that used to come to Austin, there was a vendor who sold a wide selection of jerky.
He had multiple flavors plus turkey and pork options and also sold some beef that was half in inch thick if not thicker.
I used to stock up whenever they came to town and now that I am starting to make my own jerky, I wonder why I've never seen thick jerky anywhere else?

Reactions: chopsaw
I wonder why I've never seen thick jerky anywhere else?
This is some I did from beef knuckle . Cut with the grain , by design . Thick cut .
20200917_194629.jpg
20200917_194838.jpg
Another run , same beef , but cooked on the pellet grill .
I think I like the thick cut better that way . It was all cured 3 days .
20220513_163143.jpg

I'm wondering about the 1/4 " cut . Pre dehydrate ? Ends up to thin for me after it's dried . 1/4" finished product works .

Reactions: steevieg
1/8-1/4 cut against grain. After brine, smoke for 2 hours then dehydrate for 4+ hours

This is some I did from beef knuckle . Cut with the grain , by design . Thick cut .
View attachment 677828
View attachment 677829
View attachment 677830

I'm wondering about the 1/4 " cut . Pre dehydrate ? Ends up to thin for me after it's dried . 1/4" finished product works .
I
View attachment 677828
View attachment 677829
View attachment 677830

I would love to have your recipe for the thicker jerk!
My internet searching has been fruitless, thick jerk wise.

I would love to have your recipe for the thicker jerk!
This came about from someone asking about the store bought thicker cut Kippered beef .
I keep jerky simple . Salt and black pepper . Always cure , but I use tender quick for this . You can adjust to cure one and salt , or add what ever spice you like .
This is cut with the grain , because that's how kippered beef is done . You could cut the across the grain or whatever you like . Did this in the smoker , but have also done a batch on the pellet grill . Pellet grill works pretty good .

Interesting that this thread popped again. I've been lazy and haven't made jerky in a while, but I'm slowly emptying a chest freezer and found a 7.4 lb top round roast in there. I thawed it, cut it in half, made chili out of one half and cut the other into 1/2" thick strips for jerky. 4 days in the marinade, then yesterday 5.5 hours in a "door cracked open with a silicone spatula" oven at 195°F with a shelf temp of 165-180°F. 49% shrinkage. Tender and delicious.

It could have gone longer in the oven, at least an hour, but the texture and flavor was perfect for my old teeth. Cooled to room temp, paper towel in the Ziplock, then into the fridge.

Gotta buy another roast. So much better than the Old Trapper I've been buying recently.

At first I thought you wanted it pretty thin but nope. Think I did 3mm first LOL 10mm or 1/4" is about right. Actually funny to me, I used to think the thickness is critical, nope.

This thread popping up again has me a little sad. Not long after the batch that I made then (which turned out great!) I got a hiatal hernia. Can't eat the spicy stuff without a great deal of heartburn.

Wow chopsaw chopsaw , just viewed your kippered beef thread from previous ( missed before or don't recall). I may have to try that on some venison pieces . Looks fantastic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky