Is this a safe Sealant for Smoker Interior?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Damn... my problem is this... I live in Canada. I cant seem to find a single food grade hi-temp silicone here. any I found in the us that ship to Canada charge 3x what the silicone costs to ship it to me.....I have even tried contacting all of the places you can buy bbq and smokers and parts.... nothing...

I know there are guys that use High Temp RTV all the time on this site. I am sure someone will be along to help you out. Keep bumping your post up if you don't get much activity right away. Good luck. timber

I would be tempted to let is cure for 72 hours, then do a high-temperature meatless smoke to drive out the remaining aromatics and other bad stuff.  It may not be food grade, but it is rated for being used in a home for uses like sealing fireplace gaps.  It if outgassed with really toxic stuff, it would not be rated for that application. 

It seems like I remember some discussion about how once RTV cures all the bad stuff is gone but I could be wrong. Have you tried searching the search bar at the top of the page?

I, by no means claim to know much about it- I just looked at the MSDS and passed the info on. 300 seemed to be the degree at which toxicity becomes an issue. I'm sure you'll find guys here that have much more knowledge than I do on the subject. 

Permatex 81160 high temp red is what I was thinking of. I had written it down for future use. That is what other folks have recommended on here. Now weather it is safe or not I have no idea, but it is used by a lot of folks for that application. Is there any reason you could not just use JB Weld? There again I don't know if that is safe either. I would think you can get that stuff at Canadian Tire or any auto parts house.

Last edited:
thanks timber

Permatex 81160 high temp red is what I was thinking of. I had written it down for future use. That is what other folks have recommended on here. Now weather it is safe or not I have no idea, but it is used by a lot of folks for that application. Is there any reason you could not just use JB Weld? There again I don't know if that is safe either. I would think you can get that stuff at Canadian Tire or any auto parts house.
JB Weld contains Benzene. definitely not safe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky