Is cold rolled steel sheet safe to use as a heat deflector?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teaquad

Original poster
Oct 4, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_9473.jpeg
    IMG_9473.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 31
Burning out the sheet

Attachments

• IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 36
Cold rolled is perfectly fine for high heat applications as long as it isn't galvanized. The better part of the smokers out there are made from cold rolled steel.

Cold rolled is perfectly fine for high heat applications as long as it isn't galvanized. The better part of the smokers out there are made from cold rolled steel.
Thank you my concern is seeing how thin this is will it effectively deflect heat

Cold rolled is better than hot rolled as no scale to remove.
22 ga is only 1/32" and pretty thin so it won't take a lot of direct heat.
The only thing to burn off is machine oil used in the rolling. A wipe down with acetone before the burn would be my preference.

Heat shields work for a minute or two and then as they absorb and radiate the heat, you end with the heat source closer to the meat than you would have with out one.
Same goes for ceramic heat shields, they just take longer to get hot.

Heat shields work for a minute or two and then as they absorb and radiate the heat, you end with the heat source closer to the meat than you would have with out one.
Same goes for ceramic heat shields, they just take longer to get hot.
I forgot to put mine in my RecTec last time and it ran the best it has all summer.

I forgot to put mine in my RecTec last time and it ran the best it has all summer.
Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but Brian are you talking about the big cast iron cover over the burner? I’m new to pellet smoking & wonder if doing that would just warp the grease tray, or it would get hot like an RF plate in a RF smoker. I think you have a 1250 like me.
Al

Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but Brian are you talking about the big cast iron cover over the burner? I’m new to pellet smoking & wonder if doing that would just warp the grease tray, or it would get hot like an RF plate in a RF smoker. I think you have a 1250 like me.
Al
I have the 590. I put it back in and did an pork butt couple days ago. It ran fairly well this time. Maybe just needed a good cleaning. You probably right about leaving it out. You have any problems using during this hot summer?

I have the 590. I put it back in and did a pork butt couple days ago. It ran fairly well this time. Maybe just needed a good cleaning. You probably right about leaving it out. You have any problems using during this hot summer?
The only problem I had was going outside in the heat. The R/T performed flawlessly. I’m really looking for some cooler weather so I can see how low the cold smoke box will go. Once again sorry T teaquad for hijacking your thread!
Al

Heat deflectors are all about spreading out the heat. Sit under a steel roof in the summer sun for hours and you'll be cooler even if the roof gets hot in a minute. Pellet machines use two deflectors because people do biscuit tests for heating uniformity and no one wants their machine to be 2nd best. One (I use a big cast iron pan with slow smoking pellets and chips) is good enough for me. But use none, and the radiant heat from that red hot fire in that deep crucible will come straight up in a narrow cone and burn anything in the center while the outsides stay cool.
The way to think of this is convective heat flow varies linearly with the difference of the hot and cool surface. But radiant heat flow varies as the FOURTH POWER of the absolute temperature. When you get to red hot temperatures, whether it's burning coals/pellets or a catalytic converter in a long-running car, the radiant power simply dominates. That's when you need a heat shield (or 2 or more).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky