Is This a Bargain?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Where are you located? It will help us find a wood supply easier... if you are close to MD i have lots of apple....

I just cant see myself paying that much for smoke wood...

I say thats a pretty good deal really, all you can find at a retail store is the sawdust chips, typically $5 for maybe a 2-3 pound bag. If you want chunks, you have to find another source, like me.
biggrin.gif

Even I sell Alder and Maple chunks for $10 for ~10 pounds (see my post under SMF classifieds). Yes some people have local sources for wood, but if you're in Florida or Texas, and want some alder, you're just not going to find a "local" source.

The harsh part is the shipping for another $10, but heck that's the post office getting the money not me.

For $10 and a $10 pound box, I figure it takes me a bit of time to cut it up into hockey puck sized rounds, box it, fill the open gaps wood spaces with sawdust chips, take it to the post office, all for $10, then you have to have the wood in the first place.

Trust me, nobody is getting rich doing this, but I like to share wood with my SMF buddies. I can't get pecan, so I buy pecan off of people, they can't get alder, so we swap. Pretty cool gentlemans handshake if you ask me.

Proven winning recipes call for both a hardwood and fruitwood. Up north we have oak, maple, apple and cherry. Just adjust your fruitwood to where you live. The only thing I have to buy is hickory because I can't find it these days. Living in FL I can imagine it might be a pain. You might consider citrious trees or nut trees as a sub for fruit trees tho.

Make sure it has aged at least 1 year protected from rain.

-rob

Im in a suburb right outside of New York City. All I can find is mesquite and hicory at lowes and home depot.

Ok. how does this look?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07181547000P

I just orderd 6 bags (2 each pecan, cherry, apple) shippig was les then 12 bucks. 150 sq. inches per bag thats a cubic foot plus right? I figure i can return it to Sears store if it its not a good deal. but looks fair to me. The chips look like a nice size too ).

Nice that Sears is selling a good variety of chipped wood in many flavors, I haven't seen those in my local stores. But still at 150 cu inches per bag at $8 each I'd say thats no bargain, I sell 500 cu inches of alder or maple for $10.

Plus your funds are keeping a fellow SMF member buying meat for his smoker (just did another batch of awesome Buffalo Jerky) instead of spending your money at Sears..........Those small bags at Sears are no different than Walmarts, ack ack gag gag I avoid that store just on principle alone..
cool.gif

Not sure if it is possible for you to "take a drive" but upstate New York is an excellent fruit growing region. Pruning and thinning usually occurs very late winter or early spring. I have yet to meet a grower who objects to me collecting some of the cuttings that are usually just burned anyways.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky