Is there a way I can convert my smoker to be "legal" by the strict standards of BBQ competitions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin ts bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Louisiana
I'm 17 and have been BBQing for 3 years. Cooking in general for nearly 5 times as long. I bought a new smoker yesterday. A MES 40. to replace my falling apart stick burner. I had the intentions of being able to compete after I turn 18 with this. But I was informed that my smoker is "illegal" by the standards of competition BBQ sponsors such as IBCA and KCBS due to the heating element providing the majority of my heat. (I should have done my homework before I purchased) I have until August till I turn 18 do I got time. Any suggestions?

And I do not have a job (working on changing that) so I do not have much money to invest in this. I'm also a junior in high school and trying to save up for college and nursing school as well. So please. No expensive alternatives.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky