Inconsistent Temperatures MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m following this thread a learning a lot. Would the PID winter rider posted be a good choice for a digital masterbuilt 30”?

Is it really that easy? Plug the smoker into the PID and the PID to the outlet?
Thanks and hope I’m not hijacking too bad
Timber
There's a probe from the auber that goes inside the smoker as well. I have an analog mes so just turn the dial to max temp ... the smoker would then want to run at max temp but the auber is controlling it actually. I would think with a digital you would do the same but maybe someone who actually has a digital and an auber will verify. There are some settings you have to program but that's easy enough... plenty of guys here that could help you.

Ryan

tallbm tallbm Thanks! I'm thinking I might get the auber and try again. It seems like this setup can last me for a while, and if I want to get a pellet I can do that down the road.

mosparky mosparky This makes sense. Sausage is one of the meats I'm most excited to smoke, so it sounds like the PID would be a must if I stick with the MES. I do have a two probe remote thermometer that I used for this last smoke and it seemed to work pretty well. And I'm not scared of modding it, I just want to make sure it makes sense to mod instead of buying something else, which it sounds like it might.

Timber II Timber II Not hijacking at all :)

There's a probe from the auber that goes inside the smoker as well. I have an analog mes so just turn the dial to max temp ... the smoker would then want to run at max temp but the auber is controlling it actually. I would think with a digital you would do the same but maybe someone who actually has a digital and an auber will verify. There are some settings you have to program but that's easy enough... plenty of guys here that could help you.

Ryan
So the PID essentially turns the analog into a more accurate digital?

Only on an Analog electric smoker .
On an MES ( Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse ) you'll need to do the rewire to bypass the other control .
It's worth doing in my opinion .
Screenshot_20200426-102249_BBQ Go.jpg

Looks a heck of a lot better than mine!
Nothing wrong with that . That's normal .
I have the Auber on an MES digital . Insulated box , and the controller has been tuned to my needs .
On a stock analog that's normal swings on yours . Like Ryan says he added the Auber it it holds close temps .
I just put the element from the smoker like yours in an old 22" kettle . Haven't had a chance to test it with the Auber yet . Maybe today .
20230416_114842.jpg
20230422_140845.jpg

I defer to anyone who has the uninsulated analog but very happy on the cold weather performance of the digital MES. Much better than I ever expected. Do not think analog can really compete there if it was anything like my gasser. Welding blanket hack might work but do not know. So I stand on my recommendation of the digital before PID as it's cheaper to do. I recommend going wifi if doing the Auber $230. IMO PID is more beneficial for sausage making and the stock MES is just fine for ribs/butts/etc.

Screenshot_20230115_065135_AuberWifi.jpg

Reactions: Timber II
I’m following this thread a learning a lot. Would the PID winter rider posted be a good choice for a digital masterbuilt 30”?

Thanks and hope I’m not hijacking too bad
Timber
Yep that PID would work for any 30 or 40 inch Masterbuilt (digital or analog).

For an analog it is really that easy.
For a digital a simple rewire is needed (cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut to make 2 whole wires). If doing the simple rewire on a digital I would also suggest swapping out the electrical spade connectors that connect the wires to the heating element and the safety cutoff switch. A "panel" might have to be snipped or cut into the back of the MES to get to the cutoff switch but that is actually a good thing since that cheap plastic switch is a VERY common failure point on the digital MES. It and it's connectors melt down and corrode away all the time for people so if you have a panel cut you can fix the problem quickly and easily to not have a disaster during a smoke :D
tallbm tallbm Thanks! I'm thinking I might get the auber and try again. It seems like this setup can last me for a while, and if I want to get a pellet I can do that down the road.

mosparky mosparky This makes sense. Sausage is one of the meats I'm most excited to smoke, so it sounds like the PID would be a must if I stick with the MES. I do have a two probe remote thermometer that I used for this last smoke and it seemed to work pretty well. And I'm not scared of modding it, I just want to make sure it makes sense to mod instead of buying something else, which it sounds like it might.

Timber II Timber II Not hijacking at all :)
If you got the suggested PID controller then it would also work for a digital MES 40 or 30 should you decide to pick up one of those (a used free or cheap one that is washed out at the car wash is like the best digital MES to get if you go that route... in my opinion).

I think if you rock a PID controller and you rig up some high temp insulation around your analog smoker you could have your current analog running like a champ!
If looking into insulation just make sure it has working temps up to about 350F.
In my brain I would probably get some super high temp "wool" ceramic or fiber glass insulation and foil tape that to a board of 2 inch think ISO foam board insulation (which cannot directly handle high temps).
Then I would put the side of the foam board with my rigged with the high temp insulation against the smoker.
You know make a panel for each side of the smoker and then foil tape it all together and boom insulated smoker box that could handle the 400F temps that analog was designed for :D

That's just me though hahaha :D

Great info tallbm- I’m electrical challenged tho…is there an old thread w pics or maybe a video or something? I’m gonna get the PID but I may wear you boys thin w questions trying to hook it all together.
And as always - thanks a lot for taking time to help us rookies!
Timber

Great info tallbm- I’m electrical challenged tho…is there an old thread w pics or maybe a video or something? I’m gonna get the PID but I may wear you boys thin w questions trying to hook it all together.
And as always - thanks a lot for taking time to help us rookies!
Timber
No problem at all. We've helped people who've likely never twisted 2 wire ends together so you should be ok.

Here is the step by step guide to do the simple rewire with pics and all kinds of info:

If you can cut a wire, strip the insulation, and twist a couple of wire nuts then you can do this job :D

A cutter/tripper/crimper tool like this handles all those jobs:
71B7hu66gTL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

And then 14-16AWG wire nuts will handle splicing the wires together. You just twist together exposed wire ends, put in this thing and continue twisting until it tightens up, done!
61wbgCETonL._AC_SX679_.jpg
(16AWG wire nuts, might be slightly cheaper at the hardware store)

Finally if working on a digital MES it's worth it to go ahead and replace these connectors at the heating element and the cuttoff switch. Here are high temp connectors and replacement switches (the switches are delicate and fail easily so replacements are nice to have):
61vkIO-7sPL._SX522_.jpg

THESE ARE THE EXACT STYLE TO GET! There are 2 style of switches that look the same but this style is the one you need, the other will not work.
(safety switch, ceramic, higher temp too so you can smoke at a little higher temp for chicken/turkey smokes)
61hauY6g-EL._AC_SX569_.jpg

These switches seem to be taking a while for delivery but you could have them later if/when you need them.

Anyhow I'm throwing a lot at you. You just really need the cut/strip/crimp tool and wire nuts to get started. The other stuff could be done later to make your smoker "bulletproof" and would allow you to keep it running short of a lightning strike or it getting hit by a car :D

Ask all the questions you have :D

Thanks for all of your help! I think I'm probably going to pick up a digtal MES, mainly so that I have some insulation built into the smoker. I'll probably use the stock temperature controller for a while, and the buy an auber when I'm ready to get more dialed in.

Going with the digital seems like the better price point compared to a pellet, and I think I can get a decent amount of smoke flavor from my tube.

Thanks for all of your help! I think I'm probably going to pick up a digtal MES, mainly so that I have some insulation built into the smoker. I'll probably use the stock temperature controller for a while, and the buy an auber when I'm ready to get more dialed in.

Going with the digital seems like the better price point compared to a pellet, and I think I can get a decent amount of smoke flavor from my tube.
Sounds like a good plan. I look forward to seeing what you make! :D

Reactions: washington_browns
Ok when I order the PID it gives me 3 choices for the sensor.
Should I choose multi purpose?
Thanks
Timber

Attachments

• IMG_3761.png
    IMG_3761.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky