In 67 years I have never seen a year like this where I live.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was out in my running shoes and light jacket Ice fishing. Drove 5.5 Km to a Spec Lake that any other year I would have had to snowmobile to. LOL Had a wonderful time even though I caught nothing. Todays weather is even warmer. :emoji_wink:
screenshot-www.theweathernetwork.com-2023.12.22-11_07_38.png

Warmer than usual in the Seattle area this winter. Usually have snow, or at least the threat of it around now. But it's been steady in the mid 40's to low 50's for a while now. Not that I'm complaining. The snow needs to stay in the mountains where it belongs.

Here in KC yesterday, we set the all time record for warmest low temperature ever at 58*F. On December 21st, that's just crazy! But I'll take it and enjoy it because I can sweat with the best of the fat boys but don't shiver worth a darn!

Not much to show in this short video of yesterdays adventure. Should have brought a pair of skates with me and a hockey stick. LOL Was just great getting out into the bush with not a soul around for miles.

y'all might find this interesting in terms of past climate changes. I had a new 400 ft well dug. We are about 90 miles from the coast. The drillers know when they are getting near the proper depth when 200 million year old sea shells start piling up on the sand pile from the drilling.
So I have to think if it gets warm enough, I will have beach front property. Well in another million years or so. :)

y'all might find this interesting in terms of past climate changes. I had a new 400 ft well dug. We are about 90 miles from the coast. The drillers know when they are getting near the proper depth when 200 million year old sea shells start piling up on the sand pile from the drilling.
So I have to think if it gets warm enough, I will have beach front property. Well in another million years or so. :)
Holy sheep dip! 400'
Have a old well on my property that I've used to water garden with and it's only 35' deep. Don't think you can pump it dry. As I've fergot it was running on garden and realize in the morning leaving for work and you hear the sprinklers tapping as they circle. Waters cold and taste so good even coming out of the green hose pipe.

Holy sheep dip! 400'
Have a old well on my property that I've used to water garden with and it's only 35' deep. Don't think you can pump it dry. As I've fergot it was running on garden and realize in the morning leaving for work and you hear the sprinklers tapping as they circle. Waters cold and taste so good even coming out of the green hose pipe.
Most drilled wells here in the village are 200-250 feet deep. Some have that bad salfer smell to them when it gets to deep.
Mine is a dug well with the very old well ceramic tiled casings. Been down it a few times, pretty scary as there is not much room in there. At any one time I have at least one shower and one load of laundry suppy in the well and its 40 feet down. Not great but I never run out of water if I wait long enough for it to recover which is in about an hour. If I had a large family it would be somewhat difficult to bath all the kids in one day. Other then that it has served me well.

Most drilled wells here in the village are 200-250 feet deep. Some have that bad salfer smell to them when it gets to deep.
Mine is a dug well with the very old well ceramic tiled casings. Been down it a few times, pretty scary as there is not much room in there. At any one time I have at least one shower and one load of laundry suppy in the well and its 40 feet down. Not great but I never run out of water if I wait long enough for it to recover which is in about an hour. If I had a large family it would be somewhat difficult to bath all the kids in one day. Other then that it has served me well.
Not sure it just rising and falling sea-levels. Mt. Everest was never beachfront property as a mountain..

Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure it just rising and falling sea-levels. Mt. Everest was never beachfront property as a mountain..

Not sure if I get your point?? In the last 4 years we have had forest fires burn down total towns, not one building left standing. This has happened in the USofA and in Canada. What part does Mt Everest play into todays problems??? Sorry but I really don't understand your thinking here. Please set me straight on your thoughts as someone who has lived from 1957 till now I really have a hard time understanding your thoughts.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Not sure if I get your point?? In the last 4 years we have had forest fires burn down total towns, not one building left standing. This has happened in the USofA and in Canada. What part does Mt Everest play into todays problems??? Sorry but I really don't understand your thinking here. Please set me straight on your thoughts as someone who has lived from 1957 till now I really have a hard time understanding your thoughts.

I think he is saying that the earth has been evolving before 1957 and will continue to do so.

D daspyknows
While not quite the Himalayas I live about 40 miles inland and 1700 feet in altitude. The canyons around here have a white stripe which is full of old seashells and other fossils. In fact they use to mine Borax from it. They even had a little scale train to carry it to the main line.

langmine.jpg

Reactions: Buckeyedude
If anyone is interested and has the time to watch or just listen, Randall Carlson has a very informative podcast called Kosmographia. In episode 090 they talk about devastating weather and storms recorded in the last 500 years. 500 years isnt even a blink in our history let alone the earths! They go over storms and climate events that killed a few dozen to several million people. It is very interesting. Do yourself a favor though and skip to the 20 minute mark. The first 20 minutes is just himself and the other guys on the podcast goofing around and has nothing to do with the content.

I think that life was MUCH better before the internet, cell phones, and cable TV...
I'll drink to that. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is competing for one's attention.

My cable box died this week. Been watching YouTube and Netflix only on my Roku and been perfectly happy. I think I'm about to save a bunch of money.

Holy sheep dip! 400'
My shallow well was 40 feet deep but big tree roots got to it so had to have a new well. No one here drills shollow wells anymore because of new state regulations makees it too expensive.

Here's the Arctic air I've been looking for, just a couple weeks late. I've already taken a weed eater to the winter cover in the garden as it was getting knee high.

Reactions: JLeonard
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky