In 67 years I have never seen a year like this where I live.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some Arctic Air.

This is the winter cover I grow on my garden. Its a variety of rye grass with Austrian Pea mixed in. Its growing too much. In late Jan , early Feb, I till it in.

The rye grass will live through any low temp but the pea will get killed out with temps below 10* . I need that or I'm gonna have a helluva job cutting it down running a tiller through it.

The next four weeks is the period when Arctic fronts are most likely here. I'm hoping for one.

20231220_081931.jpg

DISCLAIMER: - NOT DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE

Fun fact, the sun gets brighter every day. Which means more heat. We could end all human life on earth tomorrow and in a few thousand years the glaciers would still be smaller. Unless the Earth follows it's natural pattern of "send in another ice age".

While true, the sun getting hotter is inconsequential for our lifetimes (and span of the human race so far). Now sure why you are drawing attention to it.

Over the past 4.5 billion years, the sun has become hotter and less massive. In the long term, the sun is getting hotter at a rate that will increase the Earth's temperature by about 1°C per 50 million years.

Reactions: PPG1 and daspyknows
Snow a plenty in our higher elevations, but we've had very little snow so far in the valley's. A lot of rain and colder temps.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like we are getting rain for Christmas... oh darn! Temps of almost 50.

Ryan

Took the dogs for a walk this morning down a trail, 2.5 Km to a small water falls. Sign said no winter maintance. LOL No need as it was better now then in the summer as I could see me dogs running in the bush with no leaves. We had a great time. Recorded video but would you know it my mini camera decided to sheeet the bed so not so good results from it.

My father was Chief of our Fire Dept while I grew up 50+ years ago.
I remember twice when Christmas was interrupted as he was on a call for a grass fire.
They're having another of those seasons now. Actually pretty welcome as the last 10 years have been pretty harsh winters.

Here in Florida it has been rather cool the past week or so. Supposed to finally get to the 70's again starting tomorrow.
This is the winter cover I grow on my garden. Its a variety of rye grass with Austrian Pea mixed in.
I wish I would have put down pea cover crop on my garden before we left. It would have made a great soil amendment after this delayed winter kill.

My father was Chief of our Fire Dept while I grew up 50+ years ago.
I remember twice when Christmas was interrupted as he was on a call for a grass fire.
They're having another of those seasons now. Actually pretty welcome as the last 10 years have been pretty harsh winters.

Here in Florida it has been rather cool the past week or so. Supposed to finally get to the 70's again starting tomorrow.

I wish I would have put down pea cover crop on my garden before we left. It would have made a great soil amendment after this delayed winter kill.

It's been an every year thing for me for over 10 years. I never add anything to the garden, no chemical fertilizer, nothing.

I get my soil tested every year at local ag extension and they always tell me I need to add nitrogen in four months, or something similar. I never add anything.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
While true, the sun getting hotter is inconsequential for our lifetimes (and span of the human race so far). Now sure why you are drawing attention to it.

Over the past 4.5 billion years, the sun has become hotter and less massive. In the long term, the sun is getting hotter at a rate that will increase the Earth's temperature by about 1°C per 50 million years.
You could have at least quoted the post as a whole rather than cherrypick and edit it to make it seem as though I'm blaming the sun for the warmer weather the Earth is experiencing.

I added it as a fun fact after I posted a plethora of information where I extrapolate from data and point out that both mankind and nature are playing a part of the current warming cycle we are experiencing.

But hey, that's how stuff gets taken out of context all of the time. I sure as hell didn't say just that.

Thanks for admitting that what you did quote me on is in fact, true.

You could have at least quoted the post as a whole rather than cherrypick and edit it to make it seem as though I'm blaming the sun for the warmer weather the Earth is experiencing.

I made my contribution to the earths warming a few times today. Sorry guys...

Chris

I am 65-years old. For whatever the reason, the summers are longer, and hotter (and more miserable), and the winters are shorter and cooler (and less enjoyable), than they were when I was a kid.

Reservoirs that were once always full are frighteningly low, sans once in 50-year deluge.

I do not care what the reason is because whatever it is, there isn't a thing that humans can do to change it. If you want to stop driving your car - have at it - just keep your nose in your own business and don't endeavor to command what your neighbor does. And if you do not like what your neighbor is doing - move.

Here endith my 2-cents of unassailable wisdom.

Oh No! It has been raining more than normal in Southern California this year. It must be the end of times.

It must be that or you have been suckered into believing the leftards propaganda that they propose again and again.

They fought hard for global warming but when that was shot down as completely false they changed it to climate change. Who could deny that the climate could change.

Of course it changes every day. That is the way the earth works.

This planet has had many changes over the millions of years since it was formed. Leftards will have very little infuance on the future of it.

Was a chilly 12f this morning, not close to the coldest I've experienced, but boy does it bother me more than it did when i was younger...

Global warming, climate change, doesn't matter what you call it, being forced to give up my gas stove won't help.

Is it natural, man-made?

I always find it humorous hearing the frequent stories about the discoveries of ancient villages and camps discovered when glaciers melt and recede.

Were those people responsible for the change in the weather and climate that produced the glaciers?

Oh No! It has been raining more than normal in Southern California this year. It must be the end of times.

It must be that or you have been suckered into believing the leftards propaganda that they propose again and again.

They fought hard for global warming but when that was shot down as completely false they changed it to climate change. Who could deny that the climate could change.

This planet has had many changes over the millions of years since it was formed. Leftards will have very little infuance on the future of it.
I did not mean for this post to go politcal so can we all just leave the left and the right side of the fence out of the converstian and agree that things are changing :)

Remember that rain I talked about earlier? It's changed... wintry mix starting Sunday then 1 to 3 inches of snow possible each day... Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: Retired Spook

There was a time when people thought the world was flat too. The changes over millions of years have been traced to things like meteor strikes, major volcanic eruptions and yes, in the last 100 years, humans. Two days of rain is weather. Glaciers melting globally without a geological event must be due to something. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky