I'm such a moron. Smoking Turkey 101: remove giblet pack. Still OK to eat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whoward

Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Smoking my first bird, actually this is the first time I've ever done anything with a turkey at all, someone else has always handled it.

So anyways, thawed my 20lb turkey over the past week in the fridge. Brined it for 24 hours using recipe here on this forum. Got it out, removed the neck from the cavity and nothing else in there, so I started injecting, basting, and rubbing. I loaded some onions, rosemary, and thyme in the cavity and put her on the smoke.

So after I get back inside I see Modern Marvels is on and it's about Turkeys. Sounds interesting to me so I tune in. About half way through the show they're at the Butterball plant and the guy makes a joke about "dont' forget to remove that giblet pack or you'll ruin your Thanksgiving, ha ha ha, but everyone knows that."

I freeze. Oh, damn. I run out to the smoker and bring in the bird and sure enough in the neck cavity there it it is! The bird's internal temp was 55 and the smoker was at 325. It had been cooking about an hour. The pack is warmed up but not punctured or melted, so I assume I'm ok? I just removed it and returned the turkey to the smoker.

What a dumb mistake... But not one I'll forget. Thank goodness for Modern Marvels.

Your fine, it'll be one of those moments you can laugh about for the next 50 years.

Chris

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Lol... for my very first turkey, I roasted the neck and the giblets with the turkey until the turkey was done. Luckily, the giblets were in parchment, not plastic. I think you caught it early and it'll be fine. With the turkey I'm preparing now, the neck was in the cavity and the giblets were in a plastic bag tucked under the other end...lol. Why they weren't with the neck, I don't know. Butterball just having some fun, maybe.

I'll bet you would be surprised if you really knew how many folks have done that before. Most wont admit it.

Your fine... Smoke on!

I’ll admit to doing that once after smoking at least a dozen birds. I found the giblet pack after the bird was done and I began to carve it. Fortunately nobody else saw it, I just casually pulled it out and tossed it in the garbage. The turkey was great.
Also forgot the cardboard under a frozen pizza once, the phone rang as I was putting in the oven - that did not end well, the crust was really soggy and under-cooked.

Thanks everyone. Yeah bird turned out fine. Pulled it out after 4 hours and carved it up and put in the fridge to take to dinner tomorrow. We are a few pieces and everyone liked it. Just hoping it doesn’t dry out when I re heat tomorrow.

Also made my first attempt at goblet gravy and must say, it came out damn good.

Happy Turkey Day all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky