How to Use Cure #1 in Rice Dressing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Most of my younger life, I assisted with local BBQ fundraisers by spending hours cooking, serving and cleaning. Quite a chore but was worth it in the end to know it was for good causes. During this time, those in charge would never consider rice dressing from fear of botulism if the dressing wasnt handled properly (average 2000 - 3000 plates in 1 day only, presales it how it was determined). I never knew any better, so I just went along with it.

Lately I have been thinking back to this and wonder how cure #1 would be calculated in a dish such as rice dressing (my mind likes to think of things like this lol). Would it be calculated by the weight minus the rice or would it be total weight of the dressing? I have search the web endlessly and have not found anything. To those that are very well experienced in cures, what would be your thoughts?

I asked this very same question to Chef JimmyJ (R.I.P.) when he was still posting. He said to use the total weight...rice, meat and all. My question was for smoked boudin, but it would be the same for rice dressing....

I asked this very same question to Chef JimmyJ (R.I.P.) when he was still posting. He said to use the total weight...rice, meat and all. My question was for smoked boudin, but it would be the same for rice dressing....
I was on the fence, couldn't figure out if rice really was a factor in it. If it came from Chef Jimmy, it's certainly good enough for me. Thanks Inda

Reactions: indaswamp
I was on the fence, couldn't figure out if rice really was a factor in it. If it came from Chef Jimmy, it's certainly good enough for me. Thanks Inda
My understanding is that the rice does not necessarily need the cure, but the volume will dilute the cure if you only take the meat into account...so to get the needed 0.25%; you have to factor in the rice and everything else because it will evenly distribute throughout the entire mixture.

My understanding is that the rice does not necessarily need the cure, but the volume will dilute the cure if you only take the meat into account...so to get the needed 0.25%; you have to factor in the rice and everything else because it will evenly distribute throughout the entire mixture.
Makes perfect sense!

Never heard of rice stuffing, sounds delicious. Will definitely give it a shot, would be happy to see some recommended recipes.

Reading a few recipes, I cannot fathom what would make it a botulism risk. I don't see any step with long hold and anaerobic. What an I missing?

Reactions: JLeonard
Never heard of rice stuffing, sounds delicious. Will definitely give it a shot, would be happy to see some recommended recipes.

Reading a few recipes, I cannot fathom what would make it a botulism risk. I don't see any step with long hold and anaerobic. What an I missing?
I have a few recipes I will post for you when I get home this evening.

The concern they had at that time was the amount of time the dressing could be at low temperature due to plating ahead of time. Been several years ago but wanted to look into.

I love rice dressing

Wouldn't it be easier to use a cured sausage to mix in with the rice?
Yes, at first glance that is the right answer,,,,, but, there is more to it, like broth that permeates the whole mixture.

This really is the right answer, IMO.
If we are talking a Cajun style rice stuffing with meat and broth then the whole of the mix needs to be included with cure.

The broth mixture with the rice could, potentially have botulism and as such the cure #1 should be included in the mixing process.

Cure #1 or nitrites, only interact with meat protein to convert to nitric oxide. But the meat proteins in the broth need to be treated as well.

Great call on the .25% for the total weight, that’s what I would do.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky