Help - Turkey not so good - UPDATE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I find hickory makes too many things taste like bacon or gets too strong sometimes. I prefer no more than 30% hickory and that seems to hit the spot. 70% Apple and 30% Hickory is awesome! As suggested I think you should go 100% apple and see how you like it. If it needs more smoke add a little bit of hickory and go from there :)

I have been cooking 12-15 lb birds for the last several years with no problems. I typically brine for 8-12 hours, rinse, rub, then rest overnight. I use Jeff’s Apple Spice brine then rub it with a mixture of Apple Pie spice and fresh orange zest. Lately I have been using oak but Apple is great also. I have smoked as low as 225 for 30-40 mins/lb but the skin is inedible if you smoke it that long so be warned. I will typically work the skin loose prior to cooking, rub under and over, then toothpick it in place for the cook. I finish it with an orange rum glaze. Drippings will be smoky and a little goes a long way but you can thin with milk until you get the flavor you want. Meat is always juicy but not overly smoky. Remember, you can always shorten the amount of time you run smoke for to lighten the smoke flavor.

Third time's a charm! Well, I changed three things: 1. Raised the temp to 325°, 2. brined only 12 hrs with the appropriate ratio and 3. dumped white wine into the bottom of the trays.

WOW. Turkey was very flavorful, juicy, excellent smoke and wine flavors and the gravy is soooooo much better. Nailed it. Thanks all for the help!

Third time's a charm! Well, I changed three things: 1. Raised the temp to 325°, 2. brined only 12 hrs with the appropriate ratio and 3. dumped white wine into the bottom of the trays.

WOW. Turkey was very flavorful, juicy, excellent smoke and wine flavors and the gravy is soooooo much better. Nailed it. Thanks all for the help!

Congrats!!! You are now on your way to being a smoked turkey pro! :D

So what did you end up using for smoke this time? Also, how did the skin come out at the higher temp. Was it edible? I'm going to try using pecan this time for my smoke. I was going to spatchcock it, brush it with maple syrup and then apply a rub but I'm not sure if the high temp would cause it to burn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky