Ham!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

horkeyrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Heflin, Alabama
This was my second ham, I cured an 8 lb.boston butt for seven days in brown sugar, kosher salt, pickling spice and curing salt. Then I smoked it for 6-7 hours at 250-300 degrees and added a honey and brown mustard glaze. Perfect!!

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 82
This was my second ham, I cured an 8 lb.boston butt for seven days in brown sugar, kosher salt, pickling spice and curing salt. Then I smoked it for 6-7 hours at 250-300 degrees and added a honey and brown mustard glaze. Perfect!!
i love ham! its so delicious.

Next time I'm thinking I'll use the shank portion of a fresh ham instead of the boston butt. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Next time I'm thinking I'll use the shank portion of a fresh ham instead of the boston butt. Does anyone have any opinions on that?
both will make great ham. If you use a shank, know that the skin will impede the cure travel into the meat, need to trim it off. I would save the skin though, makes great boudin and head cheese!! Can also use it in sausage, makes a great binder and it's full of flavor.

both will make great ham. If you use a shank, know that the skin will impede the cure travel into the meat, need to trim it off. I would save the skin though, makes great boudin and head cheese!! Can also use it in sausage, makes a great binder and it's full of flavor.

Actually, the skin does not impede the cure; it is as porous as muscle. Your skin breathes as well as a hog's skin breathes. The fat breathes, just as the muscles do. The only thing that impedes the travel of the curing brine is the bones; that is why you need to inject curing brine all around the bones so there are no uncured spots. Otherwise, the animal, other than the skeleton, is porous.

I just took one out of freeze. Care to share how much ingredients you used other than cure?

Actually, the skin does not impede the cure; it is as porous as muscle. Your skin breathes as well as a hog's skin breathes. The fat breathes, just as the muscles do. The only thing that impedes the travel of the curing brine is the bones; that is why you need to inject curing brine all around the bones so there are no uncured spots. Otherwise, the animal, other than the skeleton, is porous.
Huh....learn something new every day. Does it matter whether the meat is wet or dry cured? Most videos I've seen of making country hams via. the dry cure method say the skin will slowdown uptake of salt. Is this wrong?

"that is why you need to inject curing brine all around the bones so there are no uncured spots."

That is exactly what I did, approx. 1" apart in both directions on all sides. I think that's why it is so pink.

"Care to share how much ingredients you used other than cure?" Here's the recipe I used.

Attachments

• Cured Smoked Ham.pdf
    451.6 KB · Views: 23
I have used picnic shoulders and butts . Both come out great , but I like the lean to fat ratio of the picnic . I cure with the skin on , but remove it for smoking . I use the vegetable stock / phosphate injection . Makes the best ham .

Thanks. Will be starting the cure Friday. Will also try injecting best I can. Just did my first corned beef from amazing ribs and really turned out good. Looking forward to this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky