Ham how long & what temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncage

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Sorry i'm searching & had a hard time finding it...i'm sure its here somewhere on the forum but here goes. I have a normal store bought 5.5 pound butt ham. I plan to put in on the pellet at 250. How long does it take about per pound. I've heard as short as 1 hour (10 minutes per pound) to as long as someone who had a 7 pound ham it taking 7 hours (1 hour per pound). What temp should i brink it to? I've heard as low as 130 to 190? Thanks...

Wou want a internal temp of about 140f if you read the label it should be pre cooked so your just warming it up at 250* I would guess about three hours or until 140*
Thanks man for answering all my questions today. I appreciate it.

Crazzy quick on the draw today...LOL. And hes right on the money. I usually do my double smoked hams at about 275-300 and it takes about 3 hours or so.
Take a look at Bearcarver Bearcarver step by step. He is gone to us now but this is my go to for a lot of things. He has a couple of double smoked hams in there. Might want to book mark it.

Jim

Make sure the packaging says fully cooked. If it does then you're good to eat at any temp you like. If it's an uncooked or partially cooked ham. Then you'll need to take it to 145*.

Reactions: JLeonard
I ran one the other day as a refresher . Got one on now . I run in smoke boost almost the whole time . Then start glazing and increase temp when I want it to finish . I do them a day ahead so not worried about making supper time .
I take mine to around 150 / 160 .

Guys have you covered above . I just stretch mine out to get color and some smoke .

Sorry i'm searching & had a hard time finding it...i'm sure its here somewhere on the forum but here goes. I have a normal store bought 5.5 pound butt ham. I plan to put in on the pellet at 250. How long does it take about per pound. I've heard as short as 1 hour (10 minutes per pound) to as long as someone who had a 7 pound ham it taking 7 hours (1 hour per pound). What temp should i brink it to? I've heard as low as 130 to 190? Thanks...
I take mine to 150-160F Internal Temp. Why the range? I usually do 2 at a time and one is usually higher than the other but both in that range.

I did a detailed write up with pics on taking a pork butt, curing it, and smoking it to make ham.

I hop this info helps :)

Not much I can add to the above...

I cut/skin/trim their outsides off and make a maple/bourbon paste to put on it... I smoke for 6 hours at 225 and it usually comes out to be about 145 IT.

I like the 5lb precooked half-hams from Costco and they tend to take around 3.5 hours give or take. I just did this 10lb precooked spiral cut and it ran a bit under 5 hours at 275 including me opening the door and glazing every hour. Man is it good! I take them to about 140, I will pull them earlier if they have good color and are at risk of drying out.

IMG_1503.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky