Ham butt? De-boned, brine cured, cold smoked uncooked Butt and Tasso too ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hmmmm... ya know, I actually never heard any old timer mention using cure on Tasso, just the last of the spices rubbed on the outside and hung. <shrug>
My understanding is that tasso was salt cured....it was so highly salted and seasoned that it was basically a seasoning meat only...used in beans and such. It was also dried like jerky...The trappers and hunters could pack in tasso and beans into the swamps and it was light weight and did not take up much room. All the seasoning for the pot was on the tasso.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky