Ham butt? De-boned, brine cured, cold smoked uncooked Butt and Tasso too ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
What a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Sooooo..... I pulled out the pork that was curing, (Tasso and a Butt ham for Easter). The butt is cured, smoked but not cooked I will cook it inside now and add some sort of glaze. Beautiful color though, apple and corn cob!

IMG_9616.JPG

Preheated the box to 275 while fan drying the ham and tasso that had rested in the reefer last night dehydrating. Then into the chamber with the door cracked to dewater for approx. 45 min. more. Smoke doesn't collect on wet meat!

IMG_9617.JPG

Dropped the temp to 150 added the A-Maze-N 5x8 pellet tray w/ apple and corn cob smoke.

IMG_9625.JPG

Occasionally check it while messin in the yard, what a gorgeous day!

IMG_9634.JPG

Look at that color!!

IMG_9635.JPG

This is all the tasso, see the little pieces on the lower grate in the chamber? Those are giveaways, I swear the neighbors call each other every time one sees smoke. The house could burn down but smoke from the smoker and everyone needs something. LOL

Needed more to do, so I grilled some homemade cajun sausage and a left over 1/2 a chicken, just add some tater salad (I did, I did!). Throw in a cold longneck...... I can't imagine what the rich folks is doing for supper ... LOL

IMG_9628.JPG

The skin never broke, was grilled perfectly, The juice squirted out! The sausage, well I think I have figured out how to do it!

IMG_9637.JPG

Then after some light yard work, Thought about some dessert, Spice cake w/ peach maple frosting. I really thought about a caramel apple frosting, but thought the flavor might be too weak, well the peach maple was too. But it will ruin a cup of coffee or a class of sweet tea! LOL

IMG_9638.JPG

Such a beautiful day. AND I have a brined chicken to smoke tomorrow and a HUGE rack of spare ribs for Saturday! I don't want to jinx myself, but life is good!

Have you got on the scale lately ??? Just checking....
I'm thinkin', the next hurricane you ain't gonna need no tie downs.... Gaw'd I wish we were roomies.... ;-)

Yes indeed!! Your ham and tasso looks great! It has been awesome for the last week here Foam! Wall to wall sunshine (finally!) I caught the tasso bug too. Just put a big batch inda cure tonight along with some BBB. Also got boudin on deck for next weekend.....

Yes indeed!! Your ham and tasso looks great! It has been awesome for the last week here Foam! Wall to wall sunshine (finally!) I caught the tasso bug too. Just put a big batch inda cure tonight along with some BBB. Also got boudin on deck for next weekend.....

You know as pretty as it has been I still have not been able to cut the back property. The riover is too high and the water from all the weather is not draining. Good time for tasso, I use it primarily in fresh veggies instead of bacon. You'll note there is no fat on my tasso.

That is some pretty Pig Parts. Give away Tasso is a nice gesture...JJ

Ummmmmm goooooood.

Point for sure
Chris

You'll note there is no fat on my tasso.
I usually make tasso when I'm doing something else...like ham or boudin. I'm not too pick about the fat on the tasso....awesome flavor in that smokey fat.

I have been watching the river....looks to be about 12' from the top of the levee. They say this is the 7th highest water mark ever seen. Feel bad for those people in the midwest thought....it's a sad situation.

I usually make tasso when I'm doing something else...like ham or boudin. I'm not too pick about the fat on the tasso....awesome flavor in that smokey fat.

I have been watching the river....looks to be about 12' from the top of the levee. They say this is the 7th highest water mark ever seen. Feel bad for those people in the midwest thought....it's a sad situation.

In the olden days, Tasso wasn't cured like ham. And from what I've heard wasn't generally smoked. It was just the bits and pieces when everything was done at the butchering. Whatever spices were left were rubbed on the outside to deter the bugs. That fat was known to turn rancid, it was why it was carefully removed. I don't know why the ham fat didn't go the same way. Hmmmm... ya know, I actually never heard any old timer mention using cure on Tasso, just the last of the spices rubbed on the outside and hung. <shrug>

I feel sorry for the midwest also, but if that levee had not broke think about were we are going to be. There are just too many folks now living on this rock and they still think the can learn to bend mother natures weather to their will. People have moved into and built towns and cities in America's flood plains and its about to hit home. Maybe not this year but soon. Besides the CoE has been using matts for almost 50 years to and hold the river, and the last time I saw a levee roached was when I was a kid. It will be exciting, and I don't own a bateau.

Thanks Chef

I am not that nice, the pieces are so I'll get a chance to vac-seal and put in the freeze some for myself. Garden veggie season is not far off!

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... You are a pushover... All those neighbor ladies that bring you stuff .... And you return the favor... and your sister too... nice lady....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky