Halupki And Pierogies: Cold Weather Dinner (Pics Of Course)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
100% ukrainian here I have never understand anyone frying perogies. This is not the traditional way to prepare them. This is a lazy English version of cooking them.
Shame on you.
No need. If your a true Ukrainian you would know how to cook them.

We always boiled our pierogi and then ate them with butter and onions. The ones we traditionally ate were potato/cheese, cabbage, farmer's cheese and prune pierogi. If Robert wants to fry them and he enjoys them that way, who are we to say otherwise?

And if you want to talk about being sacrilegious, I'll admit I have even put the frozen ones in an oven, baked them until crisp and they puff up like little pillows and dipped them in ranch dressing. Makes great snacking after a night of drinking, and I don't think any of my relative's rolled over in their graves.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Reactions: yankee2bbq
100% ukrainian here

I'm very sorry to hear that but I guess it makes you the world's foremost expert on international cuisine?

I have never understand anyone frying perogies

So I guess based on this comment there is only one way to cook everything in the world, and of course that must be your way.

This is not the traditional way to prepare them

Excuse me but at no point in this thread was there any mention of this being a traditional Ukrainian meal. Lemme guess...your "traditional" way of preparing them is to buy a box of Swanson frozen pierogies and pop them in the microwave.

This is a lazy English version of cooking them

Are you for real? You who have never posted anything of merit in the forum have the nerve to come in here and call somebody else lazy? That's a bit hypocritical wouldn't you say?

Shame on you.

No, shame on you. Your nerve and audacity is beyond me. I don't know from what rock you slithered out from under but perhaps it's time to return. Go on home now little boy. I think I hear your mama calling. Maybe in 30 or 40 years when you're all grown up and have learned how to conduct yourself in the presence of adults she will let you come back.

No need. If your a true Ukrainian you would know how to cook them

Once again I state, just in case you missed it the first time, at no point was there mention made of this being a Ukrainian meal. I do love how you spout traditions then copy and paste a link from the Internet which somebody else made. Pretty pathetic....

Robert

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the traditions?

But KC, he did enlighten us. Didn't you see the link he stole from somebody else and pasted? Apparently originality is not part of his traditions, only spouting what other people have done as if that makes him a genius. Sheesh...some people...

Robert

100% ukrainian here I have never understand anyone frying perogies. This is not the traditional way to prepare them. This is a lazy English version of cooking them.
Shame on you.
OK, maybe you're frustrated about what's going on in Ukraine right now and that's very understandable. If so, still not a good reason to come here and disparage another member's cook paying homage to a friend's grandmother.

But KC, he did enlighten us. Didn't you see the link he stole from somebody else and pasted? Apparently originality is not part of his traditions, only spouting what other people have done as if that makes him a genius. Sheesh...some people...

Robert

Yeah.. I saw all of that. I just decided it wasn't worth the energy to engage him any further after he posted the food network Canada recipe. Might have been interesting to learn something new about traditions.

Reactions: xray and jcam222
I just decided it wasn't worth the energy to engage him any further after he posted the food network Canada recipe.

I certainly respect that. Typically I avoid anything confrontational in the forum but this guy made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, especially being that he has no credibility whatsoever to come in here and call somebody else into question. I'm done with it now though unless he has the gall to stage a counter attack.

Robert

Robert, my mouth is watering as I look at the Pierogies and Halupki. My grandmother was also Polish. Growing up we ate Halupki often, though we called them stuffed cabbage or pigs in a blanket. We ate them with mashed potatoes and used the the jucies and meat from them for the gravy. Simple meal, but so good. I think I will have to ask my sister or cousin to make them.

Potato and cheese Pierogies are my favorite. I haven't had them in years. My family would first boil them in water and them fry them in butter and onions. Thanks for the memories.

Rob

Robert, my mouth is watering as I look at the Pierogies and Halupki. My grandmother was also Polish. Growing up we ate Halupki often, though we called them stuffed cabbage or pigs in a blanket. We ate them with mashed potatoes and used the the jucies and meat from them for the gravy. Simple meal, but so good. I think I will have to ask my sister or cousin to make them.

Potato and cheese Pierogies are my favorite. I haven't had them in years. My family would first boil them in water and them fry them in butter and onions. Thanks for the memories.

Rob
Robert is a great cook!!
Always love his posts!

And that is the way we make ‘em to: boil first then pan fry in butter n onions!!

The roots of all of these dumpling creations trace back to China appearing in Europe in the Middle Ages. If Robert had some intention to do a “traditional” Ukrainian version I imagine he (and you for that matter) would have referred to them with the Ukrainian term Varenyky instead of the Polish name Pierogi. Traditions change over time as well as in the early days of making the Varenyky they were made with ryazhenka, soured milk, or kefir used in the dough with flour. Entirely different than the non traditional method posted in the Food Channel link. Additionally you can find references from Ukrainians referring to both boiling and frying the Varenyky , especially when reheating those that had been frozen prior to use. https://thenewbaguette.com/ukrainian-varenyky-recipe-potato-filling/ As someone else said perhaps you are very reactive for what’s happening in your country and I can understand that can change a persons behaviors. I do hope all goes well for your countrymen.

I meant to and forgot (must be age) to acknowledge Joe and his grandmother for their contribution to this post for their pierogi and Halupki recipe. Without them Robert would instead be posting one of his other tasty cooks.

Rob

Reactions: xray and jcam222
I meant to and forgot (must be age) to acknowledge Joe and his grandmother for their contribution to this post for their pierogi and Halupki recipe. Without them Robert would instead be posting one of his other tasty cooks.

Rob
100% awesome of Joe to share a family recipe handed down over the years. I’ll be doing a little keto spin on it and I know Joe well enough to know he will appreciate that as opposed to be upset I changed a few things.

Reactions: xray
That's an awesome cook Robert! And also a great tribute to Joe, xray xray Grandma! I've never had either one but looks like you did them justice! The pierogi really spoke to me and went in search of a recipe...low and behold I found one from another member here. I'm glad Joe shared with you!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Nice work Robert!

My grandma use to make is along with boiled cabbage and I quite enjoy it now as well!

Reactions: jcam222
Damn that is enough for me to miss PA haha. I have a couple friends back in PA who make monster batches of perogies and sell them. A crew of family and friends knocks them out and they are delicious. And no shortage of orders for more.

And I pan fry them with some butter and onion for the traditional historical record haha.

I havent made pigs in a blanket (another traditional name) in a while. May have to change that now.

Awesome pic of Grandma too! Nice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky