Had a "discussion" with Police on Canada day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
We went into town and attended the Canada Day festivities at the local museum--Miss Linda is on the Board of Directors and was kinda expected to attend. Had a great time looking at all the "old" exhibits (the area is less than 150 years old) and watching the dancing put on by the Indians. This band broke away from a large reserve and settled in a more remote area. They live by the old ways--semi isolated, no booze, no drugs, and it was only recently they allowed televisions. Nice bunch of people, great dancing by all ages.
The young'un, Orion, was in his glory with all the other kids there and was constantly taking off and joining various family groups, so we were kept hopping keeping track of, and corralling, him. Late afternoon, he was powering out so we headed for the parking area. As Miss Linda was getting him strapped in, 2 RCMP officers showed up to question us. Huh??
Seems somebody was watching him always "running away" from us, got suspicious, and reported us to the cops as possible child kidnappers. The officers were very friendly, not aggressive, and acted professionally. They explained the complaint and began to question us about our relationship with Orion. At one point they said they hoped we were OK with their investigation--to which we both replied that not only were we OK with it, but very pleased to see them checking us out--that there were way too many scumbags out there grabbing and harming kids. I immediately offered our driver licenses as proof if ID, and offered to answer any and all their questions. The conversation then became more of a friendly chat. We described that we were his grandparents (Orion conveniently called me Grampa about then), that his mother was a single mom, and that we frequently took him for a couple of weeks to give her a break. The officer asked for her name and number. And that was that--we were on our way.
After we left, they called my step-daughter to confirm what we had told them. She just laughed and told them that all was good. Thank God she and I weren't fighting that particular day, or it probably would have been the Crowbar Hotel for me--she can be just a tad vindictive. :emoji_confounded: :emoji_confounded:
All in all, it was really nice to see two young police officers quickly arriving to investigate a possible child abduction. Amid all the negative publicity the RCMP, and police in general, are getting it warmed the heart to see 2 caring and polite officers acting like the Police Officers when I was a child.
Gary

1688340644116.png

Great story Gary and I'm with you. That is how I would have taken it.
Glad they checked and also glad they were polite and nice at the beginning also.

I have a very good friend who is now retired out In Sundre Alberta, and his wife is police in a local town near there also.

Glad it was a good day for all. And you step Daughter played nice also, lol

David

Not to take anything away from the cops, but they only showed up because someone else called them out of concern. It's real easy to consider such folks as busy-bodies who should MYOB. But they deserve the same thanks as the courteous & professional law officers in this case I'd say.

Glad to hear that everything turned out for the best. Situations like that can so easily go sideways. I would rather answer a few questions knowing that kids are being looked after and protected than not having anyone care at all.

JC :emoji_cat:

Several years back, my family and I were coming back home from a trip to Vancouver, BC, and were at the border crossing. (This was before 9/11, btw.) The kids were probably about 4 and 3.
The booth guard took our adult ID's, and looked in the backseat at our two kids, and asked, "Are these your parents?"
I was looking in the rearview mirror, and for whatever reason, my daughter shook her head --"no". I just about had a heart attack, but the guard just laughed and told us to go on through. Doubt that would happen today.

• Haha
Reactions: MJB05615
So glad you had this great outcome, Gary. It's nice to see people genuinely caring about what they see, as said above.

Several years back, my family and I were coming back home from a trip to Vancouver, BC, and were at the border crossing. (This was before 9/11, btw.) The kids were probably about 4 and 3.
The booth guard took our adult ID's, and looked in the backseat at our two kids, and asked, "Are these your parents?"
I was looking in the rearview mirror, and for whatever reason, my daughter shook her head --"no". I just about had a heart attack, but the guard just laughed and told us to go on through. Doubt that would happen today.
Mike, we had an almost similar thing happen about 25 years ago when we had our young Niece.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky