Grilled TriTip Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Picked up these great looking steaks at Sam's. I done these before and where good. Looks like my buddy made the right call taking the old grill. These things stuck like glue to the new grates! I had to pry them off. I seasoned the whole inside of grill with pork lard. Than put a second coat of olive oil on grates. Think need to bring in house and do in oven. The steaks where very tough. My pic did not turn out but it was mid rare. Corn season over but picked up a couple old ones. Where OK. The mushrooms where really good. I think these steaks might do better cooked slow or be good sous vide.

20211008_152744.jpg 20211008_153833.jpg
20210925_083701y5iddy.jpg
20211008_160214.jpg

They look good from here sucks ya weren't real happy though. I'm sure next time will be better.

Sorry to hear the steaks were not up to par Brian. Plate looks good but of course we can't chew a pic of the food.

Robert

That’s too bad. Are you sure the grates were hot enough? It did look like a good meal though!

I'm in the same camp as bauchjw bauchjw , wondering if the grates weren't up to temp. Might be a good idea to get a reporting therm and see how hot the grates are getting. Hopefully at least 500ºƒ. After that a good oiling and waiting for the meat to release should do the trick.

I'm in the same camp as bauchjw bauchjw , wondering if the grates weren't up to temp. Might be a good idea to get a reporting therm and see how hot the grates are getting. Hopefully at least 500ºƒ. After that a good oiling and waiting for the meat to release should do the trick.
They where to hot actually. I going to do in oven with a few coats letting cool down each time.

Looks good from here Brian, but as Robert said, we can't chew a picture, although who among us hasn't thought about it? LOL. I always reverse sear Tri Tip. In the Smoker until IT is 110 or so, then onto the hot gril til IT hits 130-135.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Sorry to hear about the steaks not living up to expectations, but man those don't look anything like the TT I've cooked. They look narrow and heavily marbled to me. I wonder if the butcher mislabeled them or if they goofed up on the cut somehow?

Chris

Sorry to hear about the steaks not living up to expectations, but man those don't look anything like the TT I've cooked. They look narrow and heavily marbled to me. I wonder if the butcher mislabeled them or if they goofed up on the cut somehow?

Chris

They have them all the time. Not sure of the cut but that is what they call them. They usually pretty good. I normal cook them on my gasser.

Sorry to hear that Brian!!
After looking at the package, I was going to say they look more like Prime than Choice, but I never saw Tri Tip sliced into thinner steaks like that before. The marbling looks Great !!

Bear

The key word on what he has is " steak " as compared to a whole tri tip . Maybe it's trim from the whole roast , cut into steaks . Sirloin tip ?

That makes the most sense to me. I buy beef tips from time to time and they do look similar. I marinate them in teriyaki sauce for a few hours then over the highest heat I can get my kettle up to. I've just never seen them called TTs before.

Good Job Rich

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky