Grilled Pizza with Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
Last week I prepared most of the food for my wife's retirement party. I smoked deviled eggs, pork shoulder for some puff pastries, and two different kinds of summer sausage. I served a variety of smoked cheese as well. Quick side note: If you haven't smoked deviled eggs yet, I pity you. I had two different people approach me and ask if I would prepare these for an upcoming family event, and one marriage proposal (that last part may not be true :emoji_laughing:).

Anyway, I had a little pulled pork left over. I figured it was the perfect amount for a grilled pizza. My wife and I both LOVE grilled pizza. Besides margherita style, I don't think I've ever made the same exact pizza twice, and they all end up outstanding. I didn't want to make the traditional "BBQ style" pizza, and have been looking for an opportunity to make and use an Alabama white sauce that we discovered a couple of summers ago at a wedding in Auburn.

The dough is always from scratch, and with the pulled pork and white sauce I figured (correctly) that red onions, red peppers, and chopped kale would be a good complement. On a whim, I bought "provel" for the cheese, which is a processed cheddar, swiss, and provolone food (note the absence of the word "cheese").

Now, anyone from the St. Louis side of our great state would probably tell you that Imo's pizza is the best pizza, bar none, and Imo's uses provel. I would be among the larger majority of correct people who would say it is NOT the best pizza. It can't even be described as good pizza. Why did I pick up the provel? I don't know. Moment of weakness? I can say now that all of the grilled pizzas I have made have not all been outstanding. This was ok, but should have been better.

Grill.jpeg

On the grill.

Pre Broiler.jpeg

Going into the oven on broil to brown the "cheese".

Cutting Up.jpeg

Time to eat. (The white sauce is photobombing in the background).

While we ate, we discussed what I should do differently next time. The wife suggested smoked gouda. I told her I almost went with fresh mozzarella. We both agreed that I should have tried goat cheese (it was considered). She even mentioned that I should have diced some fresh peaches (would have complemented the goat cheese nicely, especially with a honey drizzle). But definitely no provel. Never again.

Looks good to me. Guess I’ll have to take your word on the provel stuff as I didn’t get an invite… :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: .
At least it was edible and a good learning moment.

Jim

Looks good from my screen!!! I sub the kale for spinach and go with a Mexican blend for the cheese, but I'd still be sitting at the table napkin in hand.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice! I'll take a slice.
Try a 50/50 blend of Mozzarella and Provolone.
This is what I use. Not cheap but really good.
Mozz/Prov

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky