Greetings from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyX

Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Amarillo, Texas
I've been a longtime lurker, watching this site for tips and ideas for my outdoor cooks for years. This week, a belated birthday present saw a new Old Country Pecos follow me home from Academy.

Years ago, I began smoking on a horizontal Brinkmann hexagonal grill. I can't recall the product name, but it was long enough to allow me to build a fire at one end and place meat to smoke on the other or scatter my coals across the bottom tray and use it as a traditional grill. I loved it, and was hooked on slow-cooking. Fast-forwarding a couple of decades, I've been using a cheap big-box bullet-style grill/smoker the past few years. Smoking on it has been an exercise in frustration, as nothing I've done has provided adequate airflow around its tiny firebox.

Based on what I've seen here, on other forums and in talking to fellow meat freaks, I became interested in the Old Country units several years ago. They seem to be a great compromise between quality, function and cost. I've completed a couple of seasoning/test burns, and controlling the temperature has been easier than I expected. (That said, my new cooker does prefer to sit between 275 and 300 degrees, just a touch higher than I'd ideally prefer.

I'm looking forward to my first cook on her this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_6387[1].JPG
    IMG_6387[1].JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 16
Great new toy! Cant wait to see some of your cooks on it! Oh yeah..... Welcome from ohio!

Reactions: SmokeyX
Welcome from Ohio. Congrats on the new smoker! For many things anymore I like cooking at 275F to 300F. My cabinet prefers to settle in there too. I have to be real careful with a smaller amount of lit coals and make sure I don’t overshoot initially to run lower.

Looks nice. Play around on base coal amount and split/chunk size. I had that issue by being impatient and would end up in that range, now I've settled down the last few years and can get 250-275, or 225-250 as desired. It was an issue with my initial load and trying to get to desired temp - just over shot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky