Green wood

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by ezlivin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ezlivin

ezlivin Newbie

First want to thank everyone for all their help with us beginners,without you guys,this would be just another ok hobby( with you its a great and tasty obsession )
    a friend is trimming his apple trees and offered me the trimmings( 3-4" thick branches).Any tips on using these or do they have to be dried first,and for how long.
    Any help or advice ??

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

In my opinion it should be dried first as to how long that will take there are just to many variables to say. If it were me I would split and stack it and put something over it to keep the rain off of it.

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What Piney said , unless you don't get much rain. Then just let in the sun and dry out. Maybe 2 months in the open.

Good luck!

4. ezlivin

ezlivin Newbie

kinda what I figured,live in buffalo,we get rain,I 'll take the wood ( dont want to be rude...lol), just store it for a while and keep it covered,should be ready by the time the stealhead run ( oct.. )
    right ???..lol

5. grillin_all_day

grillin_all_day Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

would using wood that isn't completely dry kinda be like using soaked chips?

6. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

If its split probably before that out in the heat

7. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I read on one of the posts on smf about drying it in the oven at low temps to speed up the process.................might help..........