Grate probe position

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Was wondering opinion of all on whether the grate temp probe is to be clipped on top of grate or bottom. I did a test on it yesterday in my vertical gas smoker doing some boneless skinless thighs with my Maverick 4 probe thermometer. I started with one on top & bottom in same grate placement. Meat was about 1" away from probes. Made sure meat was away from cable end of bottom probe also. Probes were 1 3/4" away from each other. Top probe read 224, bottom 249. I can understand the top probe being a little low from moisture coming off meat but 25 degrees seems a lot so put both on bottom all most touching points to be sure probes were right. Temps read 241 & 238. Let me heard your thoughts & opinions on this. Top or bottom.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... never thought about top vs bottom ... have always done top, but I usually give it its own rack in my vertical ... did they start converging as the meat warmed up?

the meat acts as a heat sink more than likely

Since I don't eat the racks, I really don't give it much thought or effort beyond that.
:emoji_laughing:
Missing some good eatin’ Clark.
Its just about getting probe close enough to the meat to be representative of what it is seeing, yet far enough away that the cold meat isn’t depressing the reading so you jack the heat up even more than desired. Probably not much of a factor for small cuts, or after a big hunk has warmed up some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky