Got myself a smoker on a trailer, never smoked before.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kaug23

Original poster
Aug 10, 2021
Hi to everyone out there on SMF, I'm Kurt from Orlando.

I was given a large smoker on a trailer, but my total experience smoking is a slab of ribs on a Weber grill. I have been working on the smoker for a while now, just cleaning, painting, and replacing the cutting boards. I know that I will have to do some modifying to it because the first chamber shows 60-70 degrees hotter than the second one.

Over the next few months I will need lots of advice, and I'm sure that I will make mistakes, but I'm already having fun trying. I made a 16 pound brisket on it and it came out amazing, but the time was really odd. It only took 8.5 hours at 230 degrees (door temp, I didn't check it at the grates). When I pulled it at 205 it wiggled like Jello.

I'm planning on trying again this week and again in two weeks, that will give me lots of practice.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 110
Man, that is fantastic!
I would give my wife's left arm for one like that.
As to the cook chamber temp and the time to finish the brisket, your readings were probably not correct, BUT it does not matter if you know the exact temp the gauge read and the internal temp of the meat.
I cook brisket hot and fast with a cook chamber temp of 325 to 375 and I love the results.
Brisket cooked at 225 for 18 to 24 hours is super tender but I prefer the bark and short cook time of hot and fast.
You might consider buying a digital remote temp gauge system just to find out how hot it really cooks but as long as you can repeat what you just did the exact chamber temps don't matter one bit.

Heck of a nice smoker. Offsets are easier to manage than most think. Plenty of great help around the forum. Welcome from Tennessee. Wheres the brisket pic? Lol

Reactions: Kaug23
Wow, what a great gift! Looking forward to your smokes and pics, welcome from Gilbert, AZ! RAY

That’s a nice pit there buddy. Best bone up and treat her right, or you could gift it to me, I’ll keep her well greased.

Damn very nice. How did you come across that? Also, welcome from Minnesota. Looks like a beautiful rig. Oh and you came to the right spot for questions!

Man, that is fantastic!
I would give my wife's left arm for one like that.
As to the cook chamber temp and the time to finish the brisket, your readings were probably not correct, BUT it does not matter if you know the exact temp the gauge read and the internal temp of the meat.
I cook brisket hot and fast with a cook chamber temp of 325 to 375 and I love the results.
Brisket cooked at 225 for 18 to 24 hours is super tender but I prefer the bark and short cook time of hot and fast.
You might consider buying a digital remote temp gauge system just to find out how hot it really cooks but as long as you can repeat what you just did the exact chamber temps don't matter one bit.
I bought an Inkbird 4 probe wireless, but it arrived about half way through the brisket cook. I only tried one probe into the meat and pulled it at 205. Next batch I'll be using all four probes in different spots to figure out each area of the smoker.

Damn very nice. How did you come across that? Also, welcome from Minnesota. Looks like a beautiful rig. Oh and you came to the right spot for questions!
We used it for open houses at the local Kenworth store. When our store was bought out, the new owners didn't want it, so the previous owner gave it to me. It's been sitting for a couple of years and needed work, but the inside was clean and well seasoned. I had to replace the cutting boards and firebox grates, the rest has been cosmetics.

Welcome to your new addiction (Both, the forums and your smoker)... Can you take us on a tour of the smoker (pics inside and out) ??

Also.. If you want some hands on experience and to ask questions to get detailed answers... in person... Your more than welcome to come join us this fall...

Welcome from Central WI! That is one heck of a score!
Once you get the Inkbird in there and figure out how it acts when firing up and stuff, I'm sure you will find it is not that hard to keep an even temp.
Good luck and happy smoking!

Jeremy

That is awesome. The more you use it, you will begin to master it.
Pretty sure you just became the star of the family reunions, or at least the "a buddy of mine...." of everyone you knows best BBQ stories!

Treat her well, and she will treat you to many treats, guaranteed!

Kenworth huh??? Have anything with a 26ft box and a lift gate??? I need a new ride at work!
I'm not in sales, but I know we've sold a couple this month and should be getting in a few more in the next couple weeks. I drove one back from Tampa last month, sweet ride.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky