GARY'S EASY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Gary’s Breakfast Sausage
 ​
I started with one pork butt and some bacon.

De-boned and cut butt and bacon into 1” +-  chunks.

Mixed the following ingredients in with the water, mixed well.

Poured mixture over the cubed meat and mixed by hand till everything was coated and I was happy.   Put into a bowl with a plate on top (for weight) covered in plastic wrap, and into the fridge for an overnight rest.

Note: You can adjust this recipe to your taste add more or delete what you don’t like. This is a really good and easy recipe

This is per pound:

Sage ------------------------------------ .5 Tb   (add more or less if you like

Black Pepper ------------------------- .6 tsp

Sugar------------------------------------ .4 tsp

Salt--------------------------------------1.0 tsp

Red Pepper Flakes ------------------ .5 Tb   (add more for spicier)

Coriander-------------------------------  .2 tsp

Garlic Powder-------------------------- .125 Tb

Onion Powder-------------------------- .125 Tb

Cold Water ------------------------------ 1.6 oz.

Removed meat from fridge, and ground through the smallest plate I have.

Mixed by hand till fat was evenly distributed.

Fry Test!!  It has very good mild flavorful sausage.

Back in the fridge to chill some more. Then measured out 1 lb. portions rolled in plastic wrap and into the freezer for about 3 hours.

After firming in the freezer, I unwrapped them and sliced on my slicer (Wife doesn’t like to patty sausage first thing in the mornings) back in the freezer to firm back up. I packaged 1 lb. per bag. Ended up with 9.55 lbs. counting liquid and spices.

I started with an 8.7 lb. Butt, after I removed the bone I had 8 lbs. plus I added 1 lb. of bacon.  You can add more bacon (about a 25%) ratio is good,  but I like it pretty lean so only added the one pound.

Thank you …………………..

Picked up a couple of Butts on sale $1.47

These were the same weight, but you can see one is thicker than the other.

Butt ready to go

Really didn't have to do this , but thought I would practice my boning skills

Sorry I didn't get a picture of it cubed up, (Flying Solo)  But here it is being ground

A little fry test.  Good flavor, could be a little hotter for me (I'll fix that later)

Getting ready to weigh out some 1 ponders

Wrapped and rolled in Plastic wrap

Told you I would fit the heat !  Kicked up a little for me   Extra Red pepper flakes

and some Cayenne 

All went into the freezer for about 3 hours  Then sliced, Easy

Vacuum sealing in 1 lb packages

Separated layers with parchment paper  Had 9 - 1 lb. packages

Thanks for Looking     This is real easy and taste great, Use to do it years ago

using 50/50 dear meat, pork and pork fat.   No Dear meat  but all pork is Great.

Last edited:
Looks great. I want a good breakfast sausage recipe but I am going to stuff into sheep casings

Now I need to buy a grinder. Looks excellent Gary
drool.gif

points.gif

Last edited:
Very Cool Gary!!
drool.gif

I like the way you make your Patties!!!
icon14.gif

Thanks for showing this----Great Step by Step Thread!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

Hey Thanks Guys   I really appreciate it

gary

Gary,

Can you please confirm, with 8.7lb Port Butt, are these spice/herb quantities correct?

Sage ------------------------------------ .25 Tb   (add more if you like)

Marjoram ----------------------------- .1 tsp

NEVER MIND, i SEE THAT YOU advised a "per pound" usage. I missed that, so sorry.

Last edited:
Looks tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe. You can't get good breakfast sausage where I live unless you make it yourself. The general idea of breakfast sausage in Canada is "make 'em bland and without texture". Although I guess "mush" is technically a texture.

Awesome Gary, thanks for posting this & for the recipe... I'll be trying this for sure ! Thumbs Up

Gary, Gary, Gary, you better slow down and save some for us.
biggrin.gif

Great job and I will definitely be trying this.

points.gif

I was a but surprised not seeing any Fennel?

This is a tough time of year for me, I don't do much cooking on the pit my time is spent ponding, gardening and other things and don't contribute much on here, but am building up a to do list, thanks to folks like you.

Also been playing around with Aquaponics and Hydroponics again this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Gary, Gary, Gary, you better slow down and save some for us.
biggrin.gif

Great job and I will definitely be trying this.

points.gif

I was a but surprised not seeing any Fennel?

This is a tough time of year for me, I don't do much cooking on the pit my time is spent ponding, gardening and other things and don't contribute much on here, but am building up a to do list, thanks to folks like you.

Also been playing around with Aquaponics and Hydroponics again this year.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks SQWIB,   You can add Fennel  I have before   Yep my garden is coming along  pulled first squash of the season yesterday

Gary

Thanks Tim.  All of mine is inexpensive. I'm not a heavy duty user so I went cheap, but good

Gary

Reactions: reinhard
Looks Great Gary!

points1.png

I loves some good breakfast sausage haven't made my own (deer meat & bacon) in a few years but admit I do miss it

Looks real good....liking the addition of cayenne & crushed red. That'll wake u up in the A.M.! Also like a nice thick patty like you made...eat one & done (or 2). Have u considered a hamburger press for making patties? seems I remember another member on here doing so....might eliminate some steps.....good job, Willie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky