searching for smithflield country ham slices or alternative.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
left the grocery hangry this morning. for decades i have been buying smithfield country ham, thin sliced and cryo vacced. if you're not from the south you might not get it. thin sliced randomly cut country ham. slap a few slices in a skillet and cook slightly on both sides. it will leave a brown crust in he skillet. if you add a cup of coffee and a dash of wondra you get the best red-eye gravy ham pieces in the world. designed for biscuits. They don't have it at publix any more, so I'm seeking an alternative or source. Yankees might not understand. this ham is SALTY. If you've ever stopped at an appalachian diner and ordered country ham you will get it. I don't want a full ham that i have to slice, becuse i am lazy nd usually hangry on a sunday morning. thanks for any direction.
john

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Love country ham. Around here we have clifty farms, broadbents and Benton's In just about all stores. They are located in Tennessee and Kentucky. Never seen Smithfield

We got Smithfield ham in our Krogers here in the Memphis area. But I dont see the country ham on the app.
Jim

Clifty Farms is sold in about every grocery store around here. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a pack of the flavoring pieces. The wife wants a pot of soup beans this week and diced up country makes for an awesome pot of beans.

Reactions: TNJAKE
left the grocery hangry this morning. for decades i have been buying smithfield country ham, thin sliced and cryo vacced. if you're not from the south you might not get it. thin sliced randomly cut country ham. slap a few slices in a skillet and cook slightly on both sides. it will leave a brown crust in he skillet. if you add a cup of coffee and a dash of wondra you get the best red-eye gravy ham pieces in the world. designed for biscuits. They don't have it at publix any more, so I'm seeking an alternative or source. Yankees might not understand. this ham is SALTY. If you've ever stopped at an appalachian diner and ordered country ham you will get it. I don't want a full ham that i have to slice, becuse i am lazy nd usually hangry on a sunday morning. thanks for any direction.
john
Check out Burgers' Smokehouse.
They are located in Missouri and prices include shipping.
Great hams and bacon. I haven't tried the rest yet. :)

Clifty Farms is sold in about every grocery store around here. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a pack of the flavoring pieces. The wife wants a pot of soup beans this week and diced up country makes for an awesome pot of beans.
Clifty farms is probably our favorite. I use their peppered bacon ends in a lot of recipes. Our local country grocer has a large selection of clifty including whole hams and slab bacon

Reactions: negolien and DougE
Northern boy here.
I understand country ham. Even though it is salted beyond the level my high blood pressure can withstand, the texture is so unique when pan fried or added to other dishes it cannot be duplicated.
After a bout with covid my salt tolerance is really low. I have to poach any cured meat to make it palatable.

Northern boy here.
I understand country ham. Even though it is salted beyond the level my high blood pressure can withstand, the texture is so unique when pan fried or added to other dishes it cannot be duplicated.
After a bout with covid my salt tolerance is really low. I have to poach any cured meat to make it palatable.
There is just nothing like country ham. I love most cured meats, but country ham is just, well, a thing unto itself.

Reactions: fxsales1959
W/O having to google it. What's wondra?

Chris

Don't have to be from the south to understand country ham . We have some good country ham here in Missouri . I have had the Burgers smoke house products . Good stuff , but I didn't consider the ham I had to be country ham . They have several products , so if you buy from Burgers make sure you look for " country ham "

The Boone county hams in the link was featured on a local PBS TV show . I've never had them , but they are salt box cured and hung in the smoke house for months , to years depending on the fat and moisture content .

That said , the best ham I ever had was in Kentucky . Salty , smokey , deep red color and the texture is something you don't forget . True country ham .
uncle eddie uncle eddie You ever been to Boone county hams ? Might be worth a trip over for me .

W/O having to google it. What's wondra?

Chris
It's a super fine flour.

I love country ham, but only when eaten in conjuction with something to ease the salt flavor. Cheddar with it on a biscuit is one way. That and there's no shortage of Smithfield products here as I live about 30 miles away and pass thru regularly. One of my fave brew pubs is in Smithfield.

I grew up a short distance from Smithfield, VA where the authentic salt cured hams were done. They are nothing short of amazing but I do remember them being a bit pricey. A couple times a year mom would get one, slow simmer / soak it for days, scrub with a wire brush, heat, and serve with all the mandatory side dishes. As good as the meal itself was, the biscuits with leftover ham were the bomb!!

Robert

I've been buying Smithfield half hams at Kroger and double smoking them on the Weber to a IT of 150º. Do a couple and you got the makin's for some great split pea soup. RAY

DSCN4182.JPG

DSCN4183.JPG

john
thank you all. ordered Daniel boone brand on amazon. $24/lb by weight. it better be good.

Reactions: negolien
A few years ago before Johnston County Hams closed Costco was selling whole country
hams for $54 bucks shipped. That was one hell of a country ham!
Glad you found some.

john
We're staples in our house as a kid still love them ham bone rings lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky