For the refined smoke tasters on here.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Here's the set up and some questions.
Basic OK Joe stick burner, free slab of baby backs for nxt 3 weekends and same chef, seasonings, weather etc.
Wk 1 hickory smoked
Wk 2 oak
Wk 3 apple wood
At a week apart 1 and 2 I doubt I would be able to tell the difference. Wk 3 I might be able to tell since the apple is milder (maybe). Can many of you tell the difference between the hard woods and the difference between the fruit woods if time elapsed between smokes.

Just curious questions. My thoughts are most people can't with time elapsed between the smokes unless the flavors are extreme.
Let me refine that last part" most people" I'm referring to the weekend warrior like myself and the average consumer. Like wine describing hints of this and that.

Last edited:
+1; That said, I do agree with the premise that time does mellow the effect AND that most folks will not be able to and it will be just "smoky" to them. Your analogy of wine is spot on. I am a certified beer judge and most people will not pick up on the nuances. Dare you to try another week and smoke the ribs no sauce, cool overnight, finish on a hot grill with sauce.

I was thinking about doing a smoke Saturday oak and Sunday cherry and or apple then reheat the ribs and eat them Monday.

Being that I'm a cigarette smoker also I have a hard time distinguishing between certain wood types. I can tell the difference between fruit wood and mesquite. I couldn't however tell the difference between cherry and apple. Hickory is my favorite.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky